autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Fading Paint? Oxidation? Polish or sealant to prevent?

I have a 2007 Nissan Titan pickup and when seeing many on the road I notice that the top of the hood gets a sort of clearcoat fade or the paint starts to fade. I'm pretty new to the detailing world but wanted to ask if there is any product or ingredient that would prevent this.

Example..

Are there UV blocking products, do all waxes already have them in there? Can someone explain what this is and how it happens? I just want to take steps if any to keep this from happening. I tried searching but the things I put in didn't bring anything up.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fading Paint? Oxidation? Polish or sealant to prevent?

Quote Originally Posted by Antihero47 View Post
    I have a 2007 Nissan Titan pickup and when seeing many on the road I notice that the top of the hood gets a sort of clearcoat fade or the paint starts to fade. I'm pretty new to the detailing world but wanted to ask if there is any product or ingredient that would prevent this.

Example..

Are there UV blocking products, do all waxes already have them in there? Can someone explain what this is and how it happens? I just want to take steps if any to keep this from happening. I tried searching but the things I put in didn't bring anything up.

Thanks.
    Are you talking about the hood or the roof? Looks like clear coat failure on the roof if that what I'm seeing. Only thing would be a repaint to fix it. If its a 07 I would check to see if the warranty still covers that.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    Are you talking about the hood or the roof? Looks like clear coat failure on the roof if that what I'm seeing. Only thing would be a repaint to fix it. If its a 07 I would check to see if the warranty still covers that.
    I think he means how to prevent that, as in the pic is not his car, just an example.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, picture is not of my truck. I meant the roof. I'm wondering if UV damage is the main culprit and if so do waxes and sealants have UV protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Paint needs protection and regular maintenance. As far as UV in particular, it's hard to sort out all the marketing hype amongst manufacturers.

Post Thanks / Like

Waxes and sealants will slow the paint failure. It could perhaps be argued that if one always kept wax on the car, the paint could last the life of the vehicle, but I do not have any factual evidence for this.

I have two neighbors.

One, has a 2003 Lincoln Town Car. The other, a 2006 Jeep Commander.

The Town Car and Commander have sat outside their entire lives. The Town Car receives no attention whatsoever. In fact, I'm sure the rims still have some brake dust from 2003 on them. The Jeep is washed when it needs it with dish soap. It is waxed from time to time.

The Town Car (if washed and detailed) could still pass for a 2-3 year old car. The same can be said of the Jeep. The Jeep is in worse shape (fading plastics and such) than the Lincoln, which receives no care.

Go figure.
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier, 73,000 Miles, Ivory Parchment Pearlescent Tri-Coat.
    1993 GMC Sierra SLE, 134,093 Miles, Hunt Club Red Metallic/Silver.