autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried the two bucket wash method but feel like I failed miserably..

I filled up each bucket with about a gallon of water, a little higher than the grit guards. I wasn't sure whether or not they had to be filled to the top and I was afraid of wasting soap if I filled the whole 5 gallon bucket up with water and the proper amount of soap, which I believe is 5 oz. Is there a proper amount to use for a typical car wash? And is there an easy way to measure the correct amount every time?

After beginning to wash the car, the soap would fill up the rinse bucket eventually until it looked exactly the same as the wash bucket. Is it because I didn't fill it up to the top with water?

Also, when rubbing the wash mitt against the grit guard, it didn't seem to be working as well as I thought it would. I'd rub it for about 10 seconds and would find that there was still some dirt of some sort on it. Is this also because of the lack of water?

Finally, after completely soaping up the car with the wash mitt, I tried the sheeting method but also failed miserably at that. The car was still soaked and by the time I got around to drying the entire car, it eventually started to dry and leave water marks. Are there any tips to help with the sheeting method? Also, is it better to wash a car, sheet and dry by panel? Or is it better to do it all at once?

TL;DR

1. Should I be using 5 gallons of water with 5oz of soap? Or can I use less?
    2. Is there an easy way to measure gallons and oz?
    3. Why did my rinse bucket fill up with foam/soap? Is it because I didn't fill it to the top with water?
    4. The grit guard didn't seem to work with my wash mitt, is this also because the bucket wasn't filled to the top?
    5. Are there any sheeting tips & is it better to wash, sheet and dry by panel or all at once?

Hope you guys are able to help me out!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried the two bucket wash method but feel like I failed miserably..

Okay. Fill the buckets up to about 2 to 3 inches from being full of water. Follow the directions the soap says on the bottle. Usually its one ounce per gallon of water. to wash dunk your wash media into the saop. the do one or two swipes then go to rise bucket and grind it against grit guard then wring it out then go back to wash bucket and put soap on car. I find the sheeting method to be ok on a car that has been propperly waxed and polished but if you dont have any of that on it it is a little hard to pool. Get yourself a good drying tool like a absorber ( lots of people will not agree with that) but if you wash your car really well and dont miss spots you will not scratch it. you can try doing it panel by panel but if you wash your car in the shade or when the sun is going down and its cool out you will be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using soap in your rinse bucket as well? The rinse bucket should be just plain water. It takes about a gallon to reach the top of the grit guard, I think you want at least 2-3 gallons in your rinse bucket, and yes, it will foam up in there if you are using a good foamy soap.

I usually use a foam gun so I don't have a wash bucket, but if I was using a wash bucket I'm not sure I would use a grit guard because you can't get to the last gallon of wash. If you want to use the GG in your wash bucket I'd want 2-3 gallons of wash in there.

Is there an easy way to measure? Yes, you can get buckets that have markings on them and you can get measuring cups/spoons to measure the soap. Some of them are sold here along with bottle pumps and proportioners.

Sometimes your wash media will get dirty/stained and it won't come out when you rub it against the grit guard. The most important thing is that you get the grit or any twigs or that kind of thing out of it.

You've got to keep the car wet while you're washing if you want to avoid water spots. You've got to go back and re-rinse the sections you've done before the water dries.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an oldie but a good. Mike Phillips back in the day

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!) - YouTube
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharpreflection View Post
    Okay. Fill the buckets up to about 2 to 3 inches from being full of water. Follow the directions the soap says on the bottle. Usually its one ounce per gallon of water. to wash dunk your wash media into the saop. the do one or two swipes then go to rise bucket and grind it against grit guard then wring it out then go back to wash bucket and put soap on car. I find the sheeting method to be ok on a car that has been propperly waxed and polished but if you dont have any of that on it it is a little hard to pool. Get yourself a good drying tool like a absorber ( lots of people will not agree with that) but if you wash your car really well and dont miss spots you will not scratch it. you can try doing it panel by panel but if you wash your car in the shade or when the sun is going down and its cool out you will be ok.
    I actually have the absorber. Should I dry using patting or dry normally? Also, should I wash it in the washing machine after every use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Are you using soap in your rinse bucket as well? The rinse bucket should be just plain water. It takes about a gallon to reach the top of the grit guard, I think you want at least 2-3 gallons in your rinse bucket, and yes, it will foam up in there if you are using a good foamy soap.

I usually use a foam gun so I don't have a wash bucket, but if I was using a wash bucket I'm not sure I would use a grit guard because you can't get to the last gallon of wash. If you want to use the GG in your wash bucket I'd want 2-3 gallons of wash in there.

Is there an easy way to measure? Yes, you can get buckets that have markings on them and you can get measuring cups/spoons to measure the soap. Some of them are sold here along with bottle pumps and proportioners.

Sometimes your wash media will get dirty/stained and it won't come out when you rub it against the grit guard. The most important thing is that you get the grit or any twigs or that kind of thing out of it.

You've got to keep the car wet while you're washing if you want to avoid water spots. You've got to go back and re-rinse the sections you've done before the water dries.

No, in the rinse bucket is only water. I use a foam lance and a bucket with soap and water. I don't know if that's overkill or not but I figure better safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    This is an oldie but a good. Mike Phillips back in the day

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!) - YouTube
    Thank you! I'm going to watch this ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Sheeting method is useless if your car doesn't bead water well, or o I've found out on some cars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    Sheeting method is useless if your car doesn't bead water well, or o I've found out on some cars
    This is probably why I was having such a tough time with it. I've never waxed my car, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a gallon jug and fill with water X 3, 4 etc. and mark some graduations with a Sharpie and you'll get the dilution right every time (add the soap last after the water)

Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast