autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Urgent Micro marring / hologram *Whatever this is*

I think you cannot get rid of it because the paint is hard, not too soft paint. Because if it is because of soft paint, chances are; you would have produced same holograms somewhere else, and after each try of polishing you would see different looks of holograms, however neither of these are happening as far as I have read. If I were, I will go to M105.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
    Oh talking about air compressor, i need a new air blow gun.
    Damn Harbor freight crap keeps breaking on me....
    Need something the last and dont leak air 24/7

And i do try to rub a towel over the pad with the machine on, but it stops the machine rotating.... so i dont think that helps
    "Cleaning on The Fly" is always going to stop the pad. (unless it's a rotary or a 3401) so no big problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
    I worked on this car LAST YEAR, and i put on a layer of OC 2.0, which i believe it didnt stick on the paint, because it is got a ton of watermarks and scratches.

BUT the scratches / hologram was not as bad when i first started working on it. With my trial and error it made it worst to what is in the pictures now.
    I'm still thinking towels have some blame, (maybe the towel, maybe the wash technique for
    the towel(s) as well). I've been amazed at how one towels versus another, or even the SAME towel on wonky paint when the two towels have been used for different jobs in the past. Think paint finishing work, LSB work... then that towels gets used for polishing... then that towel either from a pile on your cart, in your closet, (or whatever) manages to get used again for LSP... (even if it's been washed) or EVEN WORSE gets used for compound removal and buffing then used to remove QD spray. Think you're seeing what I'm seeing now.

But...
    Little scratches, all in a row, like they are beside one another is a different name for a hologram. Think the radius of a pad, and think that pad spinning, and think that radius on that spinning pad as casting off it's own radial edge 'fingerprint' (as it may).... THAT could result in what is 'seen' (by your eyes, and only in certain light) as a hologram.

Now...
    You said it was OCoated before. That means you need to remove the OCoat, but how do you REALLY know when it's all removed? Probably harder than not. I'd say about now a PTG would come in seriously handy. [Better yet, a series of recorded paint readings after the last buffing, then another set after the Opti-coat.] Given those readings you'd know exactly what happened last time RE coating thickness, and if all your readings now are measurably thinner than AFTER the last Opti-coat thickness then you're at least 100% sure it's not just gone in most places, or some places, but ALL places.

Along that line of thinking...
    You said you didn't think the OC stuck to the paint last time around. Did you do a strong IPA wipe down? Not that I know you did or didn't.... just mentioning it as OC really doesn't play well with others. (Not if they have ANY polishing oils AT ALL.)

And finally...
    The reason I mentioned maybe not knowing if all the OC is off, is maybe, just maybe it isn't. And maybe, just maybe there is enough on there where it's all scratched up. (Especially as it seems to be the general line of thinking that the Mini/BMW paint is likely hard rather than soft.) Because we DO know that OC is many things, but isn't scratch resistance, which is likely much MUCH easier (to scratch) than the paint it's installed on.

imho of course, just my 2¢ worth... and ymmv

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tony, what u say makes sense.
    I am going to try again in the coming months. But for now im going to take a break on this and scratch my head about it later.
    Luckily this is my gf's Mini Cooper, she been riding her bike or driving my WRX for work because of this lol.

But anyways, i have tried OHHH SO MANYYYYY combos on the hood of this Mini Cooper, with things like M105/205/Menz FG400/2500/4500/Sonax Perfect Finish/Nano Polish/ WG TSR/ P21S Paint Cleaner/ Pinnacle Paint Cleansing lotion / Dodo Juice Lime Prime / Lite

I believe that is all the polish/compound i have tried. I am pretty certain that OC is freaking gone lol, but i dont have a paint meter to measure the thickness, but if anything, im afraid that i went through the barrier of the clear coat, if that is even possible

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BorisC View Post
    Can you feel them w/ your fingernail? Are they in the same spots after each polish? What about wet sanding a spot w/ some 3000g?
    Definitely cant be felt with my fingernails.
    And now as u mention about the spot subject......
    I DID NOTICE something odd, which lead me to thinking maybe it was the rupes....

Okay anyways
    So when i took these pictures to show you guys, the hologram like marks was "VERTICAL".
    Then as i go crazy like a madman trying different combos, and at the end it seems that the hologram like marks turned different direction to "HORIZONTAL" instead of vertical.....

Im not quite sure if i remember this correctly.... but i think this is what it is..... if i wasnt crazy out of my mind

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Been there, done that. I've come across some cars I just could not finish marr free no matter what I tried!! Is the whole car like this?
    Hmmm.... these "Holograms" like CRAP!!!!!!
    Is hard to be seen on vertical surfaces like the body / door.
    But i did see it on the LOWER body panels....
    So i believe it is all over the car, but they are very very hard to see....

Like if i just hold a bright light over the hood or anywhere on the paint and take a picture, it will look flawless.
    But if i hold the light with my body / head looking at a tilted angle, i can see all these hologram scratch marks.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the marks are changing direction when you wipe off the paint it can only be one of two things:

1: marring induced by the towels.
    2: polishing oils leaving a film on the paint and streaking in the direction of your final wipe.

Try washing the car with a higher than normal dilution of shampoo to see if it strips the rest of the oils away and solves the problem.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not marring from towels. As i tried different towels and it didnt help.
    And not oil either..... i washed a section of the hood with dawn, it was still there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456