autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I Avoid a Job?

Now that the warmer weather has finally arrived and business is picking up, I've been pretty busy and have been getting very nice results overall. I received a call yesterday for an interior/exterior and I am wondering if I should pass on the job. This would be a first for me, but it sounds like trouble in the making. I usually charge a flat rate for exterior based on the size of the car and each additional service. I explained this to the customer and they were impressed because they figured they'd be paying more based on the brand of car. When they mentioned the interior, I told them I have a base price for interiors but I would like to see it before giving a price. Customer then said the magic words "well, the interior is in rough shape. We have a doberman and there's hair everywhere" I then began asking questions about the car and I am thinking that she's expecting magic that is not going to happen. I am certainly going to take a look at it (I've scheduled an appointment for saturday) but this just sounds like trouble waiting to happen. Have any of you simply said no to a job upon taking a look? How did you / customer handle it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I Avoid a Job?

• Wait until you see the car in person
    • Determine if the dog hair is the major issue
    • Agree on the level of thoroughness
    • Charge by the hour for unusual situations
    • Try a couple of methods to see what works best
    • Make your decision

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Once you look at the car explain what you will do to the paint for the rate you quoted. If she wants more than it will cost more. She already thinks it may be more than you said anyway. If the paint is in bad shape you cant do a full correction for peanuts.

As for the interior i charge extra for extra dirty. If there is dog hair and stains everywhere than you need to charge for your time. Chances are she will pay for the interior done right and the exterior done so so.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from Bobby and Kevin. If everything is explained, the cost and results (expectations) agreed upon, you should be OK. After meeting the person and seeing the vehicle, if you have bad vibes, just say no.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. The exterior sounds like it's not bad. The customer painted a picture that essentially says the interiot is in really bad shape. I am going to evaluate and discuss options with her for sure. Perhaps even do a test area to show what the end result would look like. .... I will certainly let you know what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garyg7133 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The exterior sounds like it's not bad. The customer painted a picture that essentially says the interiot is in really bad shape. I am going to evaluate and discuss options with her for sure. Perhaps even do a test area to show what the end result would look like. .... I will certainly let you know what happens.
    With the right tools you should be OK. Get there early and have patience.
    We are Central Florida's "First Class" Detailing Service.

Post Thanks / Like

OP I`m no detailer but I`ve owned a couple businesses and I say I never turned any business, especially in this market, as long as I`d get paid for my work. If hair is the main problem, it`s really no problem. We have 3 dogs and 2 that shed all the time. I have found removing hair easy I put the car outside and open all the doors roll down the windows and I get my powerful Toro leaf blower and anything left on the carpet is vacuumed all done in about 10/15 min. Dog stains are handled with many good dog products. I`m not trying to tell you what to do at all but it may not be as bad as you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Patience I have for sure. Just worried that this will turn into "sometimes the bear eats YOU" . Appointment for estimate isn't until saturday. I'm going to bring most of my stuff ot work with me and go straight there and evaluate it. If I feel I can get a result that is mutually agreeable then that's fine. Unfortunately I can't gauge the customer's expectations until I have both customer and vehicle in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd concur with Bobby and Kevin.

Question, how long have you been detailing? Have you performed a lot of interior jobs where pet hair was an issue? Just curious.

I don't think I'd go in with the thought of turning it down. It sounds like you know what to do in your last post.

Try different things, see what works. Be honest with the client. Under-promise, over-deliver. Good luck.
    davinciautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I did an interior with dog hair, I used one of those pet brushes and a shop vaccum to make the hair star to detach from the carpet
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast