autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help with 1979 trans am with lacquer paint

We have a 1979 Trans Am That has been painted in early 90s with lacquer house of kolor Kandy Brandywine.. The car sat for 12 yrs in garage covered. After pulling it out had found water spots from leaking air conditioner duct from sweating and old swirl marks and scratches. I would like to buff and polish it all out as best i can, I would like if any one can throw me any suggestions on what to use and start of with. I know its different than urathane paint. here is the link to the TA
    thanks guys for the help.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with 1979 trans am with lacquer paint

I am of no help. i just have to say damn nice car!!!!

It's great to see a nice 70s f body..

Post Thanks / Like

Wow logged on the site after work, and saw no replies. and shows few hundred people viewing this section, guess need to go to another location to get it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a suggestion but this is more of a bump to let others chime in. Bottom line you need to do a test spot. Try Meg's #7.

Do you own a buffer, DA or Rotary? Can you post a picture of the water spots?
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I see you're from the centeral MO area. i'm not sure if he's still doing detail work, but mark pulliam might be able to help.

as for best advice from a forum, start with the least aggressive product first. from a local auto parts store, or an order from autogeek, start with something like Meguiars M205. A few micro fiber towels and some gentle hand polishing. that will give you a great starting point thats inexpensive and easy to acquire.

chris<pixelmonkey>

Post Thanks / Like

i do own a buffer but its from the early 70s when my father showed his 71 monte carlo ss painted with murals with daryl starbid back in 70s and 80s. its like a high speed industrial thing im afraid to even try to touch the paint with it. dunno what the name is of brand i need to look all i know its for professionals only. I would like to try myself or would it be better to hire a professional? my father cant do it no more and the guys he used to show cars with dead or retired from it. Anyways if i try it myself and i know this been ask many times what would be the best DA to start off with for begginer on delicate paint like this ? also should i measure the paint thickness before even trying to attempt? If i find someone to do it, what would the average cost be to detail just the paint? i do the interior myself its pretty much mint condition and i plan on detailing the engine this yr also. thanks for the help appreciate it very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t-topTA View Post
    i do own a buffer but its from the early 70s when my father showed his 71 monte carlo ss painted with murals with daryl starbid back in 70s and 80s. its like a high speed industrial thing im afraid to even try to touch the paint with it. dunno what the name is of brand i need to look all i know its for professionals only. I would like to try myself or would it be better to hire a professional? my father cant do it no more and the guys he used to show cars with dead or retired from it. Anyways if i try it myself and i know this been ask many times what would be the best DA to start off with for begginer on delicate paint like this ? also should i measure the paint thickness before even trying to attempt? If i find someone to do it, what would the average cost be to detail just the paint? i do the interior myself its pretty much mint condition and i plan on detailing the engine this yr also. thanks for the help appreciate it very much.
    Do not use a rotary buffer unless you are experienced with it and that is not the case. Use a DA this is a good one and affordable
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher - NEW 3rd Generation In Stock!

Meg's #7 and Meg's 205 plus wax. Get some lake Country pads 5.5" white, orange & black. You should not need to compound but rather just polish and wax.

Research articles here.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

this process should be able to take out all the water spots out or at least make them less visible? i will post pictures today if possible, suppose to warm up finally here, missouri weather doesnt know what it wants to do this time of yr. suppose to have 80 degrees tomorrow rain wed and possible snow later this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Where in MO are you? If it's not too far of a haul over to Gardner,KS you can roll into my driveway and try whatever you'd like out of my mobile van. Home today recuperating from hernia surgery and it's nice out.
    Enjoy Today,
    Andy M. Stevens

Post Thanks / Like

after washing the car and before doing this process, should i use detailing clay? if so what recommendation product? i plan on making a large purchase on autogeek within the week, but is there any over counter product i can use today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast