autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New guy needing product advice

We have 2 daily driver's, a 2011 Expedition and 2012 F250. I know, big trucks and a lot more work, but we're from TX! We also have two toys, a 2010 Jeep JK 4dr (which I consider a daily driver for the abuse it gets), and a spankin brand new 2014 GT500.

I am looking for a tough, durable and good to great looking product for the Expy (white), F250 (white), and Jeep (silver). Something that is not too hard to apply by machine or hand, and will look good. Wax or sealant? Thoughts or input?

For the GT500, it's a true toy and not a daily driver, but it is driven hard when we take it out. The GT500 is Ford sterling gray, which makes it my first dark colored car. Would BF Wet-Ice Over Fire be a good start to keep the GT500 looking better than when we picked it up, or would you suggest something else (with or without a top coat)? Any particular tips or tricks to be aware of with dark colored cars (mitts, soap, towels, lessons learned, etc...)?

Thanks for any input or advice you can provide!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New guy needing product advice-image-gt500-jpg   New guy needing product advice-image-gt500-2-jpg   New guy needing product advice-image-truck-jpg   New guy needing product advice-image-jeep-jpg  
    2010 Jeep JK 4DR (modified), 2011 Ford Lariat Expedition (stock), 2012 Ford lariat F250 4x4 (modified), the newest addition, 2014 Ford GT500 (currently stock, but just wait)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy needing product advice

Wet fire over Ice definitely will keep your toy look good. Trick to keep dark color swirl down to minimal is using two buckets wash. What I do is use the foam master to foam up the car, rinse it with pressure washer, foam it again, use a good wash mitt, and slowly/softly wash from top down using two budgets with grit guard. Then pressure everything off. Drying, I use a leaf blower and air pressure for tight places. Anything that's left I just press it with a waffle weave.

Post Thanks / Like

GTechniq EXO over C1 would give you the best durability and looks. If you want just the looks, EXO is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

"The look" is achieved by the prep. Wash, decontaminate, compound, polish and then apply the LSP. Lot's of great choices out there but first you gotta get the paint ready - otherwise it won't matter.

Here's a few LSPs I've used and liked

Collinite 845
    FK1000
    Pinnacle Signature Series II
    Pinnacle Liquid Soveign
    Black Fire Crystal Seal
    RELOAD

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by topnos View Post

I am looking for a tough, durable and good to great looking product for the Expy (white), F250 (white), and Jeep (silver). Something that is not too hard to apply by machine or hand, and will look good. Wax or sealant? Thoughts or input?

I like Gtechniq EXO but to use it you have to first perfect the finish and then chemically strip the paint, it's not "basic" type product to use.

If you want something simple that can be applied by hand or machine, will last a long time indoors and out, then look at the Detailer's Poli-Coat.

Behold Behemoth! - Cleaned & Sealed with DP Poli-Coat

I last used Detailer's Poli-Coat on this truck and it sits outside 24 x 7 and the paint still looks great.

That reminds me, I'm going to have my buddy Dave's truck back soon for a fresh detail and a fresh application of Detailer's Poli-Coat.

Mike Phillips

I do have an article on how to use GTechniq EXO, after you've done the proper prep work the application is very easy.

Gtechniq EXO Application Instructions with Trista