autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint sealant cleanup and application

Hi, I am a long time lurker and finally decided to join this forum after I purchased several items. I bought a porter cable polisher, wolfgang paint sealant, Pinnacle scratch remover, polish and Carnauba wax.
    I have washed, clay barred, and polished my truck. I then applied a thin coat of Wolfgang sealant with a blue pad and let it sit 4 hours. Finally I hand buffed the paint. I am a little confused at this point. Should I have applied several "light" layers of paint sealant or do you buff out and wait 12 hours, then start over again. Do I need to apply 2-3 layers of sealant? My biggest question is how in the world do I clean the blue polishing pad? I created a disaster trying to clean up with water. There was a ton left in the pad. For now, I put it in a ziplock bag. Does everybody apply by hand? Thanks in advance.

FYI, my truck in a 2009 Dodge 3/4 ton fire engine red. So far it looks fabulous minus the rock chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint sealant cleanup and application

Hello and welcome. After you apply the sealant wait 30-45 minutes to buff off. Then 12 hours to top with your wax of choice. You can try to use some APC to clean your pad, Dawn works pretty good also. Be sure to rinse really well.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

So far for any pads that I use whether it is a pad for DA or hand applicator pads that is used to apply a sealant or wax, dish washing liquid seems to work best for me. I first rinse off and squeeze out what I can first, then add dish washing liquid and push/massage it into the foam until it gets really sudsy and let it sit in the sink for a good 30 mins. After 30 mins have passed I run it through water again pushing/wringing/squeezing out all the suds (will need some patience) and as far as I can tell, when they dry and swipe my fingers on the face of the pad, I don't feel any sealant/wax residue when I rub my fingers together. Repeat as necessary but so far, the first time does it for me.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theblob640 View Post
    So far for any pads that I use whether it is a pad for DA or hand applicator pads that is used to apply a sealant or wax, dish washing liquid seems to work best for me. I first rinse off and squeeze out what I can first, then add dish washing liquid and push/massage it into the foam until it gets really sudsy and let it sit in the sink for a good 30 mins. After 30 mins have passed I run it through water again pushing/wringing/squeezing out all the suds (will need some patience) and as far as I can tell, when they dry and swipe my fingers on the face of the pad, I don't feel any sealant/wax residue when I rub my fingers together. Repeat as necessary but so far, the first time does it for me.
    with

The one other thing is you don't have to get it totally ####-n-span. Sure, get what you can out, and make sure the pad rinses clean of soap bubbles afterwards. Mark that pad to use forever more as THAT sealant pad. Use another sealant, use another pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the sealant remove easy after 4 hours on the paint? As far as cleaning LSP applicators and pads, I soak in Mineral Spirits for several hours then soak and agitate in pad cleaning solution. After that I rinse, rinse and rinse some more. They are usually spotless after that. IME WDGPS is especially hard to clean up but I consider that a good thing since my paint needs the durability.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Did the sealant remove easy after 4 hours on the paint? As far as cleaning LSP applicators and pads, I soak in Mineral Spirits for several hours then soak and agitate in pad cleaning solution. After that I rinse, rinse and rinse some more. They are usually spotless after that. IME WDGPS is especially hard to clean up but I consider that a good thing since my paint needs the durability.
    Yes the sealant was removed easily.

I waited about 20 hours and applied a nice coat of Pinnacle Carnauba wax.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try the Dawn dish soap after a nice soak and see how it goes. Thanks.

Junior Member DETAILED IMPRESSIONS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know with the wolfgang deep gloss it states to let it cure for 12 hours before removing it off the car cause its oxygen based. keep it out of the sun and keep it in the shade. I have done my truck and wives car with the wolfgangs deep gloss and topped mine with a wax and not hers and really to me don't notice a lot to justify it but hey who am I. lol
    “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILED IMPRESSIONS View Post
    I know with the wolfgang deep gloss it states to let it cure for 12 hours before removing it off the car cause its oxygen based. keep it out of the sun and keep it in the shade. I have done my truck and wives car with the wolfgangs deep gloss and topped mine with a wax and not hers and really to me don't notice a lot to justify it but hey who am I. lol
    I'm pretty sure it needs to cure 12 hours after removal. 30 - 45 min. to set up before removal. But hey, whatever works.

Directions:
    1. Wash your vehicle using Wolfgang Auto Bathe or your favorite shampoo. Dry completely.
    2. For the best results, use a paint cleanser like Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer to remove mild imperfections and wax build-up.
    3. Apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 over the entire vehicle either by hand or with a machine. If applying by hand, use a yellow foam applicator. If applying by machine, use a blue finessing pad. Using a dual action polisher, set the maximum speed to 4.5 and work in overlapping sections until the entire vehicle is covered. Apply a very thin, even coat.
    4. Once the vehicle is covered, wait 30-45 minutes before buffing off the sealant. Use a microfiber towel or a microfiber bonnet on your polisher.
    5. This product is moisture-sensitive. In order to achieve a slick, durable finish, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 must cure for at least 12 hours before being exposed to moisture. Do not apply sealant before dusk because dew will interfere with the adhesion to the paint. Park your vehicle in a garage or under a shelter while it is curing, if possible.
    6. Use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant to boost the gloss and protection any time with even more reflective Super Polymers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything turned out well on my end. Let it dry 3-4 hours and buffed. Then I left it sit 18 hours and put a good coat of wax on. I am happy with the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast