autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am planning on specializing on paint restoration.

A lot of my female friends have been going to a car dealership and buying a nice looking car for $12,000. Which means they will have to pay $300 a month plus full coverage insurance for $200 for the next 5 years. $500 a month for the next 5 years, cant call in sick, miss work, skip days or the car will get towed. They are between 19-24 years old.

It really bothers me because they could go buy a used "salvaged car for $2,000

I know cos that is what my 2003 Dodge Stratus coupe is. It should be about $3,500 but it has a salvaged title so it is worth (DMV wise) about $1,500.

I tell them go look for a used car then contact me and I can add value to the car. For one time fee of $200. Instead of paying $500 every month for the next 5 years

So instead of washing a car, carpet and smell, interior I plan on just "Specializing on the exterior to add value to the car"

What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will have a hard time keeping yourself busy. There is not enough of a market for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks rusty, In that case I think it will be ideal in my situation because it's more of a hobby of mine and the money I do make on it i will just be used to buy more "goodies"

I am trying to build up my stamina, before I would work 9 hours a day Mon-Fri. Sometimes Saturdays.

I would color sand, buff, polish, wash car them wax it. Then detail the rest of the car then present it to the customer or Hertz. (Production)

About 2 to 3 cars a day. I would have to o deliver them about an hour or 2 away. Was a lot of fun.

This recently happened to me and now it's just a hobby not even looking to make a part time more like 1/4 to 1/8 time every month.

This is the back of my car.

I am planning on specializing on paint restoration.-imageuploadedbyagonline1365779905-377111-jpg

I think for now 1 to 2 cars here and there would be sufficient. Maybe like 1 car every 2 months to a month.

Cos I'm still exhausted from yesterdays car. I wasn't even sure if I could do it but glad to find out that i could. It was a lot harder though.

Ok definitely going to clay and then see what I have to do next (spot test)

That is the back of my car. I put on the license plate cover to be funny haha, $10 at walmart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am planning on specializing on paint restoration.-imageuploadedbyagonline1365779533-101951-jpg   I am planning on specializing on paint restoration.-imageuploadedbyagonline1365779731-350584-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am planning on specializing on paint restoration.

Paint correction has a very niche market. Most people don't know what it is and therefore it can be difficult to sell. If you are good at marketing and good at explaining how you do things different than the production detailer down the street, you can sell it. Education is key. I charge $300+ for true paint correction. I'm a full time detailer and do 5 to 10 cars per week. I only do about 2 or 3 full paint corrections per months, tops. The majority of my work is full details without any polishing, just clay and wax. I do around 1 or 2, one steps per week.

The most important thing I've found as a professional is that 99% of people are mostly concerned with the interior being spotless. Interior guys get business.

It seems like you've got the right idea with doing paint correction as a hobby, you'd be very lucky to turn that into a full time business. If you figure it out, let me know. Because I'd love to polish paint all the time!

Post Thanks / Like

You really should consider what you suggest as it pertains to the buyer at hand. Salvage may be fine for you, but there is a reason it's a salvage/rebuilt car.

What will you say when one of your friends takes your advice and then starts having problems with the salvage car? (Electronic modules going bad due to moisture/saltwater, a frame that wasn't pulled properly and is chewing through a set of tires in 5-10k miles, rust in unusual spots, mold and mildew spores manifesting after months, etc)

I've seen salvage vehicles in all forms, but unless I rebuilt it myself I wouldn't trust it, especially if I was young and inexperienced in how to perform repairs myself.

I suggest you focus on what you know, paint correction. That or get a dealers license and start cranking out rebuilds!
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a lot of very scary salvage cars in my days and it really depends on what caused it to be salvage and who repaired it. My father has been doing body work all my life so I see things most people don't.

Based on my experience, and I've seen/worked on a lot of them, I would never suggest someone buy a salvage car unless they know the work was done by a reputable shop that specializes is such work and what kind of damage it had. I detailed cars for a place near me by the name of "Kar Kraft" for years and they, along with my father, are the only ones I've seen that I'd okay the purchase of a salved car from.

I actually detailed this salvage car a few weeks ago and it had 4 different black paints on it, one area had metallic in it, burnt edges, heavy sanding marks left in the body filler, mid panel blend lines, and that was just on the surface!

Selling a salvage car is a chore too.

Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

90% of my paint correction is on cars is 50k or higher most people with cars 30k and under don't care about paint correction. They only want the car look clean and they aren't willing to pay for paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you guys, that's why I like going on here and hear what more experienced AG's have to say.

This Car...I am planning on specializing on paint restoration.-imageuploadedbyagonline1365801680-773307-jpg

I have had this car since I was 16 I am currently 26. One day when I was going to work (about 5 years ago) The other car didn't know what merging meant (I was just going straight) and he crashes into me. Just the fender got crashed and his insurance gave me $2,500. And my car became "salvaged" that's all I know about salvaged cars. I never knew it goes into this much depth.

My family has been into the Auto Body/Mechanic business since before I was born.

This is the first time I hear about so much damage with a salvage title.
    If my car ever gets hit or needs mechanical repairs I just call my family.

When I told my Gf's female friends to buy a salvaged car I never meant any wrong doing by it. I was trying to prevent them from being ripped off.

But thanks guys for all the input. I'll let them know.

Post Thanks / Like

Well in order for a car to be "salvaged" the repair order must exceed 75% of the value of the vehicle (sometimes lower, depending upon the insurance company) so a late model vehicle would have to have a significant amount of damage to be "salvaged".

Post Thanks / Like

When I told my Gf's female friends to buy a salvaged car I never meant any wrong doing by it. I was trying to prevent them from being ripped off
    Just to put it into perspective: this would be like advising them that "buff jobs are all the same, just go with the cheapest price"

Makes sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast