autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

duragloss 501 pad priming

Over the weekend, I used duragloss 501 for the first time. How much product do others use for priming their pad prior to starting their next appx. 18"x18" section panel?
    I noticed the amounts I used worked into the paint and there was very little to wipe off. The remaining residue was very difficult to see on my white paint. My hope is that experienced users will reply so I can adjust my amounts if needed for next time or to help new users know how much to use and what to expect.
    My goal with using 501 was to clean the paint. I had very few swirls to remove.

The above photo shows the Pad when starting a new section panel of appx 18"x18". I primed with an x pattern. The initial bead looked to be about the size of the main shaft part of a Q Tip and then after a few seconds by the time the photo was taken it spread a bit. I rubbed this in with my finger to prime the pad for this section panel.

Then below, the photo shows how I applied 3 pea size drops to the pad. At this point I started to work my 18"x18" section panel on speed 3 with griots garage d/a and did 4 section passes.

I repeated this process for each 18"x18" section panel.

Last edited by silvermesa; 04-10-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: additional info.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: duragloss 501 pad priming

You're using it correctly if you see it disappearing into the paint, so your amount looks fine. If you work a bigger area, apply more and vice-versa. Your nice white pad won't stay that way for long!! How did you like using it? Did the white really glow after? Follow that with 105/601 and then Colli 845 for protection that should go a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Richy for your reply! Yes, I did like using duragloss and thanks to your earlier threads on the mixing of the bonding agent 601 in a 1:4 ratio, it certainly helped speed the process up.
    One of the benefits of using duragloss 501, that I learned from previous threads is that you don't have to strip your previous LSP prior to applying it saving time as well. My truck had relatively clean paint but have seen previous threads where the pads were pretty dirty due to the cleaning ability of duragloss 501 on vehicles with not so pristine paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't priming the pad when I first started using 501 and it didn't work out too well for me. Priming it seems to pick up a lot more crud off the paint!

Post Thanks / Like

Always prime a new pad covering the pad with a light coat of product then add 3 or 4 pea size spots of working product. Rather than pre-mixing you might just add the product directly to the pad. Some have indicated the pre-mixed mixture will go bad over time.

Make sure you clean the pads frequently a pad washer really comes in handy and speeds up the process. Reprime the pad add working product and hit the next panel.

I like the 845 suggestion as well it's good stuff. I took a que from richey on this combo and have really liked it. Personally my cars never go long without getting re-waxed but 845 will last a long time. Even my weekly wash (ONRWW) has wax in it. Then topped w/V07.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph