autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffers??

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Buffers??

Which buffer is best to use??? What polish and which wax that can used in the sun?? It gets hot in Mississippi!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffers??

A dual action polisher is the safest and is easy to use. I don't polish or wax in the sun, but Poorboy's come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    A dual action polisher is the safest and is easy to use. I don't polish or wax in the sun, but Poorboy's come to mind.
    Ron is right on all counts! I recommend the 3rd Gen Griots 6" for power and warranty. PB is sun tolerant but shade and a cool surface yield best results!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Colton205 View Post
    Which buffer is best to use??? What polish and which wax that can used in the sun?? It gets hot in Mississippi!!!
    The sun isn't your enemy, it's the heat or temperature of the panel that's the real problem. Any wax or polish can be used in the sun providing it's shaded or early in the morning or very late in the day when the sun's near it's lowest point.

Another thing to consider is the color of the panel.

The color black absorbs the majority of light energy wavelengths. White reflects most wavelengths of light. Since these wavelengths carry heat energy (like in infra red) the black that absorbs most will absorb more heat while the white will reflect most of the heat.

The more light the object absorbs, the more heat absorbed since light is energy. If you consider it a color, black absorbs the most heat. A black object absorbs all wavelengths of light and reflects none. Objects that are white, on the other hand, reflect all wavelengths of light and therefore absorb the least heat.

This is an example of how color contributes to the problem:

MicroTemp MT-PRO digital infrared thermometer

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    Ron is right on all counts! I recommend the 3rd Gen Griots 6" for power and warranty. PB is sun tolerant but shade and a cool surface yield best results!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

BobbyG brings the science in and nailed it in terms that anyone can understand.

My preference for a buffer "Polisher" is the flex 3401. I also own a GG 6" 2nd generation and a PC 7242XP. With the right technique, pads, compounds and polishes you can do excellent correction on any vehicle

The choice is based on your financial situation and what you will feel comfortable with.

Ed

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the PorterCable 7424xp hd model I see Mike uses that model a lot so its obviously a good machine he also uses the Flexxc3401which spins a lot faster and you can work bigger sections at a time giving you better correction because of the direct drive. The PorterCable is free floating assembly so you have to watch closer to what your doing but it is also more affordable. I've thought about getting a Flex myself but if do the job correctly spending the extra money may not be necceserry I hope this helps. Richard44

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard44 View Post
    I have the PorterCable 7424xp hd model I see Mike uses that model a lot so its obviously a good machine he also uses the Flexxc3401which spins a lot faster and you can work bigger sections at a time giving you better correction because of the direct drive. The PorterCable is free floating assembly so you have to watch closer to what your doing but it is also more affordable. I've thought about getting a Flex myself but if do the job correctly spending the extra money may not be necceserry I hope this helps. Richard44
    I think the PC is safer for a beginner. As lot less chance of burning the paint with a PC vs Flex

Sent from my Dell Streak using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piranah View Post
    I think the PC is safer for a beginner. As lot less chance of burning the paint with a PC vs Flex

Sent from my Dell Streak using AG Online
    The Flex 3401 is a dual action like a PC and will not burn your paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The Flex 3401 is a dual action like a PC and will not burn your paint.
    Flex = force roation, pc = not force rotation..... :/

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast