autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My pad washing technique/review

Detailed description borrowed from AG

Clean and dry pads in minutes!

By popular demand, Meguiars has developed a Pad Washer to quickly clean their foam and wool polishing pads while they are still on the polisher! Using the rotation of the polisher, the Meguiars Pad Washer releases stubborn product residues from pads. You don't even have to get your hands wet! The process is simple and the results speak for themselves - clean, nearly dry pads in a matter of minutes.

Meguiars Pad Washer works with all polishers. The opening of the pad washer is adjustable to accommodate any pad size and polisher. Clean pads on your Meguiars G110, Porter Cable 7424XP, FLEX XC 3401 VRG, and all rotary machines.

Meguiars Pad Washer consists of a 5 gallon bucket, which you will fill with water and a pad cleaner (like Detailer's Pro Series Pad Rejuvenator), equipped with a grid insert. The grid insert inside the bucket does the work for you. Insert the pad into the pad washer, turn on your polisher and let the grid insert clean all your buffing pads. The grid provides a surface to agitate the pads and release residues.

The grid insert is supported by springs so you simply have to press the pad against it until the pad is touching the water. No manual adjustment is needed.

An adjustable splash guard keeps all the cleaning solution inside the bucket. When you're ready to dry the pad, just lift it out of the pad washer and spin the pad for several seconds. Your pads will be nearly dry!

Meguiars Pad Washer works with foam and wool pads of any size. It's a tremendous timesaver for professional detailers and do-it-yourselfers.

A watertight lid is included. Mobile detailers can seal the bucket full of pad cleaning solution to travel to the next job. The contents of the pad washer can also be removed to use it as a wash bucket.

Regular cleaning of pads makes them last longer and maintain their texture, so they perform as intended on your vehicle. Pad cleaning is a necessary step after detailing. Make it as simple as possible with the Meguiars Pad Washer.

I wanted to share my results and technique on how I wash my pads through the pad washer. I know some of you guys may not have this complete setup but this is the about the best way and most effective way of having fresh pads. Or just have quite a few of the same pad. I will do an entire vehicle with 2-3 cutting pads and 2-3 polishing pads respectively.

I use a pad conditioning brush after every section pass and run my pad through the pad washer after every panel is completed. This may take some more time than needed on detailing a vehicle but it is the best approach for maintaing a very clean pad.

I thought I had a picture of the pad before it went into the washer but we all know what a spent pad looks like.

After running my 3401 at speed 1 for a minute my pads come out like this

Then I switch from the 3401 to the 849x to spin dry them

Here is the machine spinning at 3500 rpm. I let the 849x run for a minute or so to eliminate the water.

At this point my pad is completly clean and dry and ready to be put back in service.

For the production detailers or serious hobbyist I recommend this setup. You can use whichever rotary you like as it only needs enough power to spin the pad dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My pad washing technique/review

That's my next purchase......hate cleaning them by hand.

In your opinion, is DP rejuvenator the best bang for the buck?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Mike. I have been interested in these for some time just not sure if I want to drop the money on one.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post
    That's my next purchase......hate cleaning them by hand.

In your opinion, is DP rejuvenator the best bang for the buck?
    This is a great investment and sure beats cleaning the pads by hand. Thats for sure.

The DP product is the best bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    Nice review Mike. I have been interested in these for some time just not sure if I want to drop the money on one.
    Thank you. It is money well spent. It may be a bit of a step purchase but it is in fact a great tool to have on hand to clean the pads and put them back in service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    This is a great investment and sure beats cleaning the pads by hand. Thats for sure.

The DP product is the best bang for the buck.

Thank you. It is money well spent. It may be a bit of a step purchase but it is in fact a great tool to have on hand to clean the pads and put them back in service.
    Did you try the cg pad cleaner I gave you? I like it. I was wondering if you liked it too. If not I'll try this other pad cleaner solution when I run out. I still got 3/4 a gallon left to go!

Aren't all of those pad cleaner systems the same? They all look the same, but rebranded for different companies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vegas911gts View Post
    Did you try the cg pad cleaner I gave you? I like it. I was wondering if you liked it too. If not I'll try this other pad cleaner solution when I run out. I still got 3/4 a gallon left to go!

Aren't all of those pad cleaner systems the same? They all look the same, but rebranded for different companies.
    I have used it and I do like it. The CG pad cleaner is best suited for use in a spray bottle.

The DP cleaner is powder based and is excellent for the pad washer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love reading your reviews Mike! Real world results. Ive been eyeing one of these for a while now since im getting tired of hand washing all my pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    I love reading your reviews Mike! Real world results. Ive been eyeing one of these for a while now since im getting tired of hand washing all my pads.
    Hey partner it's the only way to go. Pads get cleaner, you'll work cleaner and forget about the stupidly expensive price within 30 days.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    Thanks Aaron. I do what I can to provide my info for the forum. Although my reviews are not fancy nor do I have fancy pictures to go along with them. Just straight and to the point.

You should pick up a pad washer. Very economical and provides stellar results every time you use them.

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Hey partner it's the only way to go. Pads get cleaner, you'll work cleaner and forget about the stupidly expensive price within 30 days.
    +1.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Mike. Super informative mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast