autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss Aquawax 951

Getting ready to apply Duragloss for the first time. Will use 601/501 1:4 for paint cleansing and then will top with Duragloss 105 or 111 and will include the 601 for bonding.

I have a white vehicle and have been waffling back and forth on using 105 or 111 and was wondering what the topper or drying aide being Duragloss Aquawax would most look like?

Was thinking that if Aqua wax favored more the look of 105 there would be no reason to put on 111 or vise versa.

Your imput is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Duragloss Aquawax 951

Not sure I understand your question but I top 501 with 111 on my satin white pearl Subaru. I usually maintain with a rinseless wash and give each panel a UWW+ presoak, wash, then a spritz of AW before I dry. I use 111 rather than 105 since 105 is more or less an AIO so I feel it would be redundant. Also, on white I prefer a more sterile sealant look as opposed to the warmer wax-like look(so I've read) of 105.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply.

To explain a bit further, I generally will use a product like Duragloss 951 to top off or give that freshly waxed look about every other week after a wash.

My thought was that if 951 had a bit more of the carnuba look to it like 105 is reported to have, that I should probably use 105 instead of 111. 111 is reported to have the sealant type look, it would cancel it out to top with a topper that looks more like carnuba. Being that the look of the vehicle will be most affected by the last product put on. I believe I read that somewhere on here?

That is why I was hoping to find out which product either 105 or 111 that duragloss 951 most looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe AW is a spray sealant, despite its name, and since 111 Clear Coat Polish is pure sealant, despite its name, they would compliment each other quite nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you really think you can tell a difference between 105 and 111? I highly doubt it. Both will work good with aquawax. I like 105 and its super durable. Either choice would be a good one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfather View Post
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe AW is a spray sealant, despite its name, and since 111 Clear Coat Polish is pure sealant, despite its name, they would compliment each other quite nicely.
    I'm sorry I'm still learning but I have some 111 and it looks great on black but what do u mean by sealant look? I know 111 is a sealant (sort of) but what is the difference from a sealant look and a wax look?
    And me doing a black truck tomorrow I was planing on using this but after learning Its a sealant I want to top it with wax. Would just a regular carnuba be OK? Like megs carnuba? I just want them to look nice together on black..

(Dont mean to hijack your thread)

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Do you really think you can tell a difference between 105 and 111? I highly doubt it. Both will work good with aquawax. I like 105 and its super durable. Either choice would be a good one
    I agree, I'm sure AW would look just fine on either. DG describes 105 as a one-step. Like the OP I use 501 first. I just prefer not to use anything with any cleaners or polishes on top of an AIO.
    I'm sure many have topped 501 with 101 or 105 and are very happy with the results. Just as a matter of preference I've always considered products like 111, OS, AW, OCW, 845, etc. to be more appropriate toppers. Then again its hard to argue with those who feel topping an AIO with anything defeats the purpose. Again, just a matter of personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say after trying numerous products over the years the eye opener for me occurred yesterday when I physically touched my paint for the first time since I winterized it last November.

By that I mean that I only used the local touchless car wash to wash my car during the winter months. I did not physically touch my car in all that time. Its been a long cold winter.

What opened my eyes? After going through the touchless car wash one last time (warm weather finally returned) I went to apply a waterless wash product with a MF towel. This is literally the first time since last November I touched my car with a towel.

To my surprise my car's paint was like glass. It was as if I had hand washed and dried it every week during the entire winter.

What do I attribute to this discovery? I applied Duragloss 601/501 to my car for the first time last November.agsin, I never touched the paint during the entire winter. No detail sprays or spray waxes. Nothing. Just ran it through the local touchless car wash every two weeks.

Bottom line I'm sold on that combo. Nothing I've ever tried before had ever given me such peace if mind and performance. And the look...awesome.

Guys... Run, don't walk and try this amazing Duragloss combo. It's truly amazing.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akj View Post
    I know 111 is a sealant (sort of) I was planning on using this but after learning it's a sealant I want to top it with wax. Would just a regular carnauba be OK? Like megs carnauba?)
    It's not "sort of" a sealant, it IS a sealant. Sure you can top it with a Meg's Carnauba if it's #26, the others have some cleaners in them that may interfere with your topping/layering intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfather View Post
    I just prefer not to use anything with any cleaners or polishes on top of an AIO. Just as a matter of preference I've always considered products like 111, OS, AW, OCW, 845, etc. to be more appropriate toppers. Then again its hard to argue with those who feel topping an AIO with anything defeats the purpose. Again, just a matter of personal preference.
    I don't know what you're talking about; I think every DG LSP says that it cleans. You imply that 111 is a "more appropriate topper" but I'm reading the 111 box right now and one side says "Cleans Shines And Protects In One Easy Application" while the blurb on the back says "This non-abrasive formula removes fines scratches, tree sap, bug and tar without removing the protective clear coat". I'm pretty sure if it removes fine scratches it's going to remove whatever LSP you are trying to top with it.

I don't blame you though, the product descriptions are very confusing and everyone who calls DG to try and sort it out comes back with a different answer.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    To my surprise my car's paint was like glass. It was as if I had hand washed and dried it every week during the entire winter.
    You know what I think that tells us? Not that DG is the be-all, end-all product, but that touching causes a lot of LSP "wear".

Post Thanks / Like

Tis true that any touching causes LSP wear, but going through a touchless carwash during winter is nothing new for me. My point is that this DG combo has no problem staying on the paint considering the harsh soaps they use at touchless car washes that in most cases can strip an LSP after repeated use...not to mention being a daily driver through salt, spring runoff mud, etc.

Its a winning combination.

GO SYRACUSE........!!!!!!!!!...
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast