autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ozone ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ozone ?

How well do ozone generators work for de-stinking a car? I am thinking esp of wet dog and cars used by smokers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ozone ?

I think the only real way to eliminate the smell is to tackle it from the source. Maybe use the Ozone Generator for follow up. I'm in for other user's experiences however.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently heard that the ozone can eat away at rubber if exposed too long.

This leaves trim, weather stripping and anything rubber vulnerable.

Super Member Anthony@zerboautoworks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First you must clean the whole interior,shampoo carpets, seats, headliner, pillars and give all surfaces a good cleaning, then put the ozone generator in there and let it do its magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an ozone generator this year. I did 2 cars so far, neither customer called to say the odor reappeared. I am doing one in the morning that has heavy smoke smell, we will see how that goes.

There is no natural rubber in cars anymore. Everything today is synthetic. Beside it would take huge does of ozone before damage would occur.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only used an ozone machine on one car. The customer just bought the vehicle (used) and the whole interior smelled like a really weird citrus-chemically-cleaner scent.

I thought it would be a piece of cake... like leftover carpet solution from the crappy dealer detail job. NOPE. I cleaned every surface and never did figure out the source of the odor. Left the ozone machine on for 4 hours and there was still a feint remnant of the original smell. Plus the car now smelled like ozone.

2 and a half months later I get a call back from the owner. The smell was back in full force...

I re-did an entire interior detail (on the house) and then coated EVERYTHING with CarPro So2Pure. It's been 4 months now and the smell hasn't returned... I talked to the owner recently when they dropped off another vehicle and they are so happy the smell is completely gone.

Long story short: if you are offering "odor removal" as a service I recommend having a few back up plans if the Ozone, for some reason, doesn't react with and eliminate a particular smell.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

The best backup plan is refund them the $50 they paid for the ozone treatment. Sometimes smells are impossible to get rid of. I know a guy who had mice pee in his mitia. The insurance company paid to have all the rugs replaced and the metal bleached by the dealer and you can still smell some funk.

Post Thanks / Like

Rustytruck, how much of dose do you think it would take to do any damage to the rubber and plastics. I have an ozonator and have been researching a machine called Odorox. It uses hydroxyl's to get rid of odors. Hydroxyl's are safe for humans and animals to breath. I have been in talks with an enviromental engineer on the subject of ozone. He is claiming that insurance companies are going away from ozone for hydroxyl's. I am hesatant on using the ozonator now for fear of having a vehicle come back later with damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cullen View Post
    Rustytruck, how much of dose do you think it would take to do any damage to the rubber and plastics. I have an ozonator and have been researching a machine called Odorox. It uses hydroxyl's to get rid of odors. Hydroxyl's are safe for humans and animals to breath. I have been in talks with an enviromental engineer on the subject of ozone. He is claiming that insurance companies are going away from ozone for hydroxyl's. I am hesatant on using the ozonator now for fear of having a vehicle come back later with damage.
    I have the Odorfree and they recommend no more than an hour for a car. I usually try 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I also don't allow it to aim directly at the dash. If possible, I will put in back and open a window a couple of inches. Only odor I have seen that it won't help is a dead animal stuck in the ventilation system. Impossible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert8194 View Post
    I have the Odorfree and they recommend no more than an hour for a car. I usually try 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I also don't allow it to aim directly at the dash. If possible, I will put in back and open a window a couple of inches. Only odor I have seen that it won't help is a dead animal stuck in the ventilation system. Impossible.
    Hahaha, had to re-read this slower the second time. Somehow I got "dead _____ stuck in the trunk".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast