autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help, shopping list?

Hey everyone. I just got a new-to-me chevy diesel truck, in grey stone metallic. I am placing 2 orders the first one is already being shipped and contains;

Pinnacle car shampoo
    Assortment of cobra microfiber towels.
    Pinnacle spray souveran wax.

List 2 is what I'm working on now.

Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant 3.0.
    Griots garage window/glass cleaner.
    Pinnacle clay bar with spray lube.

Now I want to know, will the pinnacle spray wax work and be compatible to use with the Wolfgang paint sealant for the in between wax jobs after washing?

Does list 2 in general look decent and good to use in lieu of list 1?

Next I started looking into doing a polish but am wondering if my rotary buffer that I got from harbor freight will work to do a polish job. And what product is good for polishing?

I will mention I am new to all this. Last time I tried using a cutting compound on an older truck, I was too afraid to burn the paint and probably would have done a better job using my hand then the buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help, shopping list?

You still need:

2 buckets
    Grit Guards
    Good wash sponge
    Leaf Blower at a minimum or Metro air dryer (the less you touch the paint the better)
    Clay
    Some sort of clay lube

Unless you have experience with a rotary stay away from it on your truck (practice on a friend's vehicle :-) )

Do some research here and you will find all of the answers that you need grasshopper. The How-to section is very informative. Be careful, this is addictive and expensive. Don't ask how I know.
    I drank what?

Post Thanks / Like

APC (All Purpose Cleaner)
    A wheel brush
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Sponge (clay alternative)
    Also agree with the two buckets and grit guards

If you have no experience with a rotary then stay away. Lots of damage can be done with a rotary. Maybe a DA (dual action) polisher. U can also look into so all in one products for removing swirls and scratches like Meguiars D151 or Menzerna PF2500. These are going to provide a good cut that finishes down well like a polish and provide a minimal wax protection but you have the Sealant for that.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies. i forgot to mention that i have buckets from lowes and a wash mit with my first order. i do not have any swirl marks yet... but once i do the clay work with the pinnacle clay im going to order i just want to be sure to eliminate and small marring i pick up from the clay. here is a picture of my truck so you guys can get an idea of the color and the finish on the wheels

Post Thanks / Like

thoryamaha: wont i need a rotary or DA buffer to use the Meguiars D151 or Menzerna PF2500 that you listed?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to sound like a ####, but its apparent you've been reading too much into things online --- its great you've done some homework but you're in the over thinking stage
    Plus I'm sure you have swirls, everyone has swirls, its just varying in degree and ideally you instill them at a very low and minor rate using proper techniques etc

if you want a spray wax to use in between waxing then pickup cg v7 or eco touch spray wax they're both great go far and extremely slick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    I'm not trying to sound like a ####, but its apparent you've been reading too much into things online --- its great you've done some homework but you're in the over thinking stage
    Plus I'm sure you have swirls, everyone has swirls, its just varying in degree and ideally you instill them at a very low and minor rate using proper techniques etc

if you want a spray wax to use in between waxing then pickup cg v7 or eco touch spray wax they're both great go far and extremely slick
    You're absolutly right,lol.and you dont ssound like a ****, i have been lost on this forum reading and browsing the store that im starting to think i need one of everything.

i guess i should have worded my statement a little better. it doesnt have swirl marks that bother me yet. and depending on the light i can see them at all at 2-3 feet away.

starting this thread has me more confused. haha. im trying to keep the budget realitivly low and just get the basics to do;

1. wash
    2. dry.
    3. clay.
    4. sealant instead of wax because i like in southern california and take the truck camping out in the desert alot and "read" that the sealant protects better. if the CG v7 is better combined with the wolfgang sealant then i will not use the pinnacle spray souveran.

Post Thanks / Like

chemical guys wash and gloss
    SON1C Synopsis 2 - Chemical Guys - Citrus Wash + Gloss
    //
    a quality drying towel or two // or a leaf blower blow vac etc
    //
    mothers clay bar kit or megs professional mild (blue) clay
    //
    petes 53
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ax-review.html

petes is a great value, great looks, boasts stout durability -- it is a hybrid wax -- just keep it away from your trim if you have any I don't really see much of any in the picture

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with SON1C with the chemical guys v07. I have never used it personally but it would be great for what you want.

I also agree with the citrus wash and gloss. It's great stuff. I traded for some with a fellow member and I like it a lot.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

if i use the CG citrus wash + gloss, i will need to wax after every wash?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast