autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Emblem Adhesive?

I removed my old emblems to paint them and now want to re-install. Of course I removed all the old glue. So, Whats the best adhesive that wont eat my paint?

I bought the 3m stuff, luckily i tested it on my fenderwell lip and within 20 minutes it ate the paint right off an Acura OEM Factory metallic paint w/ clear coat.

I really dont want to cut double sided sticky tape, but if its the only option I will.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Emblem Adhesive?

What 3M stuff did you use? This is the first I've ever heard of a problem with it.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not use liquid or gel adhesive! The emblem was originally attached using a die cut piece of..........double sided tape. You'll be fine going back with the same!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpscoupe View Post
    Do not use liquid or gel adhesive! The emblem was originally attached using a die cut piece of..........double sided tape. You'll be fine going back with the same!
    yep. there is specific low profile high strength double sided foam tape that 3M makes for that emblems. it's meant to be die cut but you can cut it manually. get a mechanical pencil and trace the emblem precisely onto firm paper. cut that out with a #11 hobby blade or fine scalpel. depending on the shape of the emblem, you can go about tracing the pattern onto the tape backing a few ways. if it's got fine details, like shapes and letters, you might want to do portions of the tracing at a time, like, divide the emblem into thirds or even by shape/letter. if it's a blocky type emblem that has one or two pieces to it then you don't have to worry about splitting it up more than what it obviously requires.

if you are tracing with a sharpie or something onto the paper backing, be mindful of the direction of the adhesive backing vs. the emblem. you might have to flip the template first if it is a directional type emblem (letters, etc).

when you trace with a sharpie, i like to cut about 1 to 3mm or so in from that line to make sure that there is a space between the edge of the emblem and the adhesive, esp. when compressed. if it's a letter type emblem, you might only be able to go about 1mm in from the trace line...maybe more but it depends on how thin the emblem characters are. if it's a blocky type one or two piece, you can surely go ~3mm.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    What 3M stuff did you use? This is the first I've ever heard of a problem with it.
    Im not sure exactly, it was bought from a Checker/Oreilly, in little red tube, and was specific for glueing emblems. I've also seen the same sold in Walmart. It even says to test on somewhere inconspicuous as the solvents in the glue may damage paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    yep. there is specific low profile high strength double sided foam tape that 3M makes for that emblems.
    it's meant to be die cut but you can cut it manually.
    3M™ Die-Cuttable Tape Series DC2000
    Automotive OEM Product Catalog - full line of materials and parts - 3M US: Automotive OEM:3M? Die-Cuttable Tape

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

yep, that's the stuff. it's perfect for the job.

Post Thanks / Like

The double sided tape is probably (your) best method replacing emblems. The 3M Emblem Adhesive can be a pain, the glue can ooze out and cause a ugly mess. When I started painting cars (1970's) sometimes this was the only option. You had to use it sparingly, hold it firmly without it slipping, then place a piece of masking tape to hold it overnight. With fresh out of the booth paint it was sure to melt into the finish. I always use a tooth pick for a light application.

I detailed a 81 Corvette last year with the factory "Corvette" emblem just dangling from the rear panel. The customer said to go ahead order a new one ($48). Checking it out... It had the two (not yet thread cut) studs for emblem nuts. Cleaning off the tape... I was able to lay on my back and start the nuts (first cutting in the new threads) securing the emblem better than factory. I was able to use my learned paint/body skills saving a returning customer some money.

4 Options replacing Emblems (better-worst)

Emblem Nuts, Barrel Clips, Double Sided Tape, 3M Adhesive

Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used this. It works great (better than the 3M 2x sided tape IME):

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I've used this. It works great (better than the 3M 2x sided tape IME):

you must have missed the rest of the thread and the part where the OP said that product melted his paint hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast