autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Protecting ventureshield on a long road trip... Wolf's The Mask???

Got a 2 week road trip coming up in May and want to protect my newly installed ventureshield PPF from bug damage. I've already gotten one small bug stain where I didn't get it cleaned off fast enough (couple hours?) So I can imagine the damage done with 2 weeks of driving through Utah/Arizona/NM and Colorado! We'll be in out of the way places so probably no spray washes or hoses available. Usually if I collect a bug or two I take it off with ONR (I have a bug kit in the car... spray bottle of distilled water, one of ONR mix and some MF towels). But That's not going to cut it during an interstate road trip in the late spring!

Other than coating the front end with painter's tape, is there any other thing I can do?

I did find this spray on 'bra' from Wolf's Chemicals called 'the mask'. Supposedly sprays on, dries hard and washes off with water. Has anyone tried this? Would it be PPF safe?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting ventureshield on a long road trip... Wolf's The Mask???

OH NOOOO!!
    Now we have to protect the paint-protection-film?!?!

[Picture courtesy of: derek0609]

-Never tried any of that Wolf stuff on PPF.
    -You can always get some transit-film to cover it up.
    -Or Saran Wrap

I suggest the next time: Get XPel's Ultimate PPF.

Irregardless...Have a safe and enjoyable expedition.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit....the first thought that came to mind was bumper guards for our bumper guards.

I'm surprised to hear of the issue you encountered. My wife has had that same film on her car for six years, and I haven't had any bug gut issues. (I have polished the film three times, using M205/white LC, but washing bugs off after a road trip hasn't presented any problems.)

FWIW, on a recommendation from another forum, I did see some success from trying this, on my last trip from NorCal to Southern Arizona: as close as possible to hitting the road, I applied a coat of Four Star UPP, but didn't remove it. The morning after I arrived, I used Optimum NRWS and removed the sealant along with the bugs. There were a few sticky spots, but the film was in great shape, and the process was certainly easier than the old way of doing things.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

it works well, they say it might degrade and LSP a tad but nothing major, just make sure you spray it liberally and dont touch it till you can see it anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa... I didn't know they still made that stuff? I'd tried their original Bug OFf stuff at one point and didn't like the way it just kind of beaded up.

This was easier when I had the 10 year old 3M film on it... you know the stuff that's got that hazy nickle sized orange peel look, but you could polish the crap out of it and it always looks at least as good as it did when first installed? This is my first experience with one of the newer PPFs. The night after I got the car back from the install I was poking around online and found scary threads where people's venture shield was basically destroyed because they didn't wash bugs off right away. Granted those threads were old so perhaps it's been improved since then?

Perhaps I'll layer the crap out of stuff... Maybe multiple power lock layers coated with colly 845 layers then try the mask or the griots bug stuff on top.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Ventureshield on two cars. They sometimes go weeks without washing. As mentioned above, I just use a light polish for anything that won't come off. Also, one has Opticoat and one has CQuartz on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluHeaven View Post
    Got a 2 week road trip coming up in May and want to protect my newly installed ventureshield PPF from bug damage. I've already gotten one small bug stain where I didn't get it cleaned off fast enough (couple hours?) So I can imagine the damage done with 2 weeks of driving through Utah/Arizona/NM and Colorado! We'll be in out of the way places so probably no spray washes or hoses available. Usually if I collect a bug or two I take it off with ONR (I have a bug kit in the car... spray bottle of distilled water, one of ONR mix and some MF towels). But That's not going to cut it during an interstate road trip in the late spring!

Other than coating the front end with painter's tape, is there any other thing I can do?

I did find this spray on 'bra' from Wolf's Chemicals called 'the mask'. Supposedly sprays on, dries hard and washes off with water. Has anyone tried this? Would it be PPF safe?

Consider a rental car? Less milage wear and tear in the long run about the same cost. I've done a lot of desert driving sand storms are worse than bug stains!
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh... no. It's an Audi event... one week of pure driving pleasure on twisty back roads, and I just fully rebuilt my suspension and got new summer tires

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Consider a rental car? Less milage wear and tear in the long run about the same cost. I've done a lot of desert driving sand storms are worse than bug stains!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluHeaven View Post

When I had the clear bra installed , my installer said 'yes the ventureshield is thinner and is almost undetectable, but if you don't clean on stains, especially certain types of bugs you will get stains and etching'. He further said 'the scotchguard is also vulnerable, but it is much thicker and the timeframe for cleaning is in days, not hours'. I went with his advice after being shown a car one of his employees drives with ventureshield.

I've also seen the thin plastic wrap on rolls that some have used as well across the front.

I can see mine, but I completely understand why you would want
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast