autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Do MF Polishing/Finishing Pads Have a Place?

I've seen very few use these, except maybe volume goals/shops. I see some well respected detailers only use the cutting/compounding pads, even when they use a polish like M205 or similar.

So, what are your thoughts on the polishing pads? Do they just not have enough bite with a typical polish to do anything? That would be my thought, but I am anxious to hear your story.

I tried a polish with a Meg's MF cutting pad yesterday for the first time. Amazed me. D300 and the cutting pad worked great for me in the past, but this new combo compromises less clear and still did the job. Amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do MF Polishing/Finishing Pads Have a Place?

Quote Originally Posted by BTLew81 View Post
    I've seen very few use these, except maybe volume goals/shops. I see some well respected detailers only use the cutting/compounding pads, even when they use a polish like M205 or similar.

So, what are your thoughts on the polishing pads? Do they just not have enough bite with a typical polish to do anything? That would be my thought, but I am anxious to hear your story.

I tried a polish with a Meg's MF cutting pad yesterday for the first time. Amazed me. D300 and the cutting pad worked great for me in the past, but this new combo compromises less clear and still did the job. Amazing.
    I use them on the regular and found myself starting to use them for AIO's.

Recently completed a GXP with D151 and a Finishing Disc. Tried it side by side to Optimums GPS with their respected pads (and even using the same combo's with different manf. pads) and I ended right back with the Meg's Disc and D151. Cut a little better, and the slickness left behind was much better than GPS.

If you're looking to get the best finish, you're going to want to finish with foam. Those, for me, are details wanting 2 or 3 steps and going for close to, or flat out perfect.
    Brian's Custom Detailing
    Where detail matters
    www.BriansCustomDetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BTLew81 View Post

Yes bottom of the pad storage bin. Foam finishes out much better. You need to manage the heat with DA mf polishing. Foam is easier and FI ishes better.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I use mostly MF pads as rmannus said they do heat up so you have to watch that. You might want to invest in a backing plate with holes in it. The key with MF pads is to keep them clean. I would recommend having at 6-8 MF pads on hand cause the back of the pad can come apart. I never us the finishing pad like they both said above finish with a foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using them on and off for a year. I can definitely tell they heat up and I've been careful of that. Never had one come apart on my GG6. Using the LC backing plate without issues so far. Don't jinx me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    The key with MF pads is to keep them clean. I would recommend having at 6-8 MF pads on hand cause the back of the pad can come apart..
    If you don't clean your pads after every section pass you all run into problems fast. Having more pads and changing them often is even better.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed...cleaning them, even with the brush, really makes thngs easier. Quantity is important too. I'm down to a couple of pads, so looks like some polishing today, clean the pads and dry them tonight, and then back at it tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I use mostly MF pads as rmannus said they do heat up so you have to watch that. You might want to invest in a backing plate with holes in it. The key with MF pads is to keep them clean. I would recommend having at 6-8 MF pads on hand cause the back of the pad can come apart. I never us the finishing pad like they both said above finish with a foam pad.
    I had problems with mf pads coming apart so I've even given some new ones away awhile back as I gave up on some brands.

I hear the new bns mf pads are built a lot better built and shouldn't come apart as well as performing better. They are currently sold out, but should have some back in and I will pick up a few and see if they are built better and perform better.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I just did my Denali with both. Just for $hits and giggles I decided to do the "system" D300 and finishing wax. The truck is red jewel tint coat, rather hard. While it didn't finish out like foam, it's more than good enough for a DD. I can't say that the finishing pad/finishing wax ADDED any swirls or scratches that's for sure. Of course I went ahead and topped it with M21 then 2 coats of M26 but that's just me.

Meguiar's will say that you use ONLY their backing plate though. Weird enough, it's not vented or anything, it just grips better! They'll tell you they designed it to hold on to the pad better. In fact that is where most of the heat comes from with MF pads. The heat is not on the surface of the paint itself, it's with the fibers gripping and pulling and twisting making the back of the pad move and trying to rip it off of the backing plate itself. The earlier failures, according to Megs reps, were linked to the backing plate not holding tight enough onto the pads. This has been addressed with the system as it's sold today. (They even said this at DF last weekend.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Meguiar's will say that you use ONLY their backing plate though. Weird enough, it's not vented or anything, it just grips better! They'll tell you they designed it to hold on to the pad better. In fact that is where most of the heat comes from with MF pads. The heat is not on the surface of the paint itself, it's with the fibers gripping and pulling and twisting making the back of the pad move and trying to rip it off of the backing plate itself. The earlier failures, according to Megs reps, were linked to the backing plate not holding tight enough onto the pads. This has been addressed with the system as it's sold today. (They even said this at DF last weekend.)
    100% agree on this, happened to me using other brand backing plates.