autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dots in paint?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dots in paint?

Dots in paint?

These are only located on the front bumper and slightly on the side mirrors. The front bumper has them this dense eveywhere. It's only been hit with an orange LC pad and m205 right now and that did absolutely nothing. I have m105 here now and WG TSR 3.0 and a yellow 4" LC pad arriving tomorrow. The camera doesn't show them that well but this is what they look like.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dots in paint?

Looks a lot like pitting.

Basically it is what it sounds like, often mistaken for stone chips.

Honestly there is no fix for this (to my knowledge) without ruining the paint, aka sanding it right down.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    Looks a lot like pitting.

Basically it is what it sounds like, often mistaken for stone chips.

Honestly there is no fix for this (to my knowledge) without ruining the paint, aka sanding it right down.
    Figured that's what they were, but I wasn't sure as this is my first at polishing. What exactly was the cause of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of the cause but use a magnifying glass to determine how deep the marks are (pitting). 3000 grit sand paper will make the clean up quicker. Megs makes a 3" disc inexpensive and great for spot sanding. You will not have to use much pressure. M205 should clean it up. If the paint is harder hit it with M105 then M205 and wax.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say without seeing a closer picture but it kind of looks like solvent pop. The hood of my wife's car has it all over and I only noticed it after correcting the paint. Has the car been resprayed?
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Mike Phillips

If it's just on the front of the car and the car has not been re-painted then it's probably pitting from impact of debris hitting the front of the car.

I've seen this a lot when I lived in SoCal on cars people drove from SoCal across the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas. Basically they were sandblasting the front of their car as it's very windy and sandy/dusty in the desert.

If you see a problem that's happening only on the hood it can often times be heat related from engine heat combined with heat from direct exposure to the sun over time.

If you see tiny dots or holes in the paint anywhere on the car that's been repainted then it could be solvent pop.

I've seen a LOT of this in my life in paint jobs and one thing for sure, more and more buffing just uncovers more and more of the hole or pit in the paint. Does it look like the paint on the black Porsche in this thread?

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, it looks just like what is on the black porsche but worse.. I've had the car since 2003 and the front bumper has never been repainted. So I assume this is something that can't be fixed unless it is repainted?

Post Thanks / Like

Repaint will fix it but detailing should do the same or at least make it look better. Worse case fill with paint, level with sandpaper then polish out the scratches and wax it.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If it's just on the front of the car and the car has not been re-painted then it's probably pitting from impact of debris hitting the front of the car.

I've seen this a lot when I lived in SoCal on cars people drove from SoCal across the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas. Basically they were sandblasting the front of their car as it's very windy and sandy/dusty in the desert.

If you see a problem that's happening only on the hood it can often times be heat related from engine heat combined with heat from direct exposure to the sun over time.

If you see tiny dots or holes in the paint anywhere on the car that's been repainted then it could be solvent pop.

I've seen a LOT of this in my life in paint jobs and one thing for sure, more and more buffing just uncovers more and more of the hole or pit in the paint. Does it look like the paint on the black Porsche in this thread?

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

Sorry to revive and old topic, but I have this exact phenomenon on my black porsche boxster. It really became visible after cleaning up the rest of the paint. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to minimize the appearance of these dots or prevent them from worsening? I am planning a correction with the Wolfgang twins followed by a Pinnacle Black Label Coating in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmoothie View Post

Sorry to revive and old topic,

It's 100% okay to revive ANY thread on this forum. Just want to point that out. Quality information stays relevant into the future.

but I have this exact phenomenon on my black Porsche boxster.

It really became visible after cleaning up the rest of the paint.
    Kind of like RIDS show up like a sore thumb after machine polishing.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to minimize the appearance of these dots or prevent them from worsening?
    Sorry to say... no.

I am planning a correction with the Wolfgang twins followed by a Pinnacle Black Label Coating in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks!

It's a phenomenon that I can only really remember seeing after using dual action polishers. I'm not saying it won't happen or you won't see these defects after using a rotary buffer but I've always wondered what the connection is?

For what it's worth I've seen a TON of these types of pitting or dots in the paint in my lifetime and it's almost always on the front of the hood.

When I lived in SoCal I seen this a lot and attributed it to the sand blasting effect that happens to your car when you drive at high speeds in the desert.

The desert is sandy and gets very windy and there has been times where I've been driving through a wind storm and the sound absolutely made me cringe as I could hear millions of sand particles pelting the paint on my car.

Don't know if that helps.... probably not... I drive a truck with hardly any paint in the front, vertical area so no paint that can be pelted by sand or other debris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast