autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Very finicky soft paint:)

I have a client who dropped of a vehicle that was thrown threw a tunnel wash and caused some damage. After doing some test posts ,I found out that his paint on his gmc Sierra is very soft And to top it all off its black. Compounding was a breeze because of the softness (tws via blue hybrid cutting pad)but finishing down is giving me issues. I started of using wg finish glaze on white hybrid pad. The swirls were totally gone but I noticed after wiping a couple of panels off that there was da haze left over. So I said to myself no big deal ill use the grey finishing pads after the same process and even dropping the speed down with no pressure for my final passes, haze was still left over!This paint is so soft I am debating in trying a red or blue pad to finish down perfect. Any suggestion otherwise. I have sf4500 and used it on the grey pad, no luck still hazing on the black soft paint weeeeeee nightmare haha

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very finicky soft paint:)

I have never used those pads before so not sure. The sf4500 should work fine not sure why its not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bremec View Post
    I have a client who dropped of a vehicle that was thrown threw a tunnel wash and caused some damage. After doing some test posts ,I found out that his paint on his gmc Sierra is very soft And to top it all off its black. Compounding was a breeze because of the softness (tws via blue hybrid cutting pad)but finishing down is giving me issues. I started of using wg finish glaze on white hybrid pad. The swirls were totally gone but I noticed after wiping a couple of panels off that there was da haze left over. So I said to myself no big deal ill use the grey finishing pads after the same process and even dropping the speed down with no pressure for my final passes, haze was still left over!This paint is so soft I am debating in trying a red or blue pad to finish down perfect. Any suggestion otherwise. I have sf4500 and used it on the grey pad, no luck still hazing on the black soft paint weeeeeee nightmare haha
    Probably repainted.

If you pull it into the sun, it'll probably look like it has holograms.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

SF4500 is a great suggestion, it's usually my go-to in spots like that but it's not working for you so my suggestion would be 3M Ultrafina on their convoluted finishing pad or your favorite finishing pad via rotary. Ultra is honestly one of the best finishers out there and I only use it occasionally, mostly because of it's steep price. Funny that the GMC has soft paint, I have an 08 Silverado that had some panels with ROCK HARD clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes using something like sf4500 with a red or gold pad for soft paints can be just what you need!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    sometimes using something like sf4500 with a red or gold pad for soft paints can be just what you need!
    I agree...

Used a CCS Gold pad with HD Polish (finer than SF4500) on my Sierra and this combo eliminated the DA haze.

Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    I agree...

Used a CCS Gold pad with HD Polish (finer than SF4500) on my Sierra and this combo eliminated the DA haze.

I'm surprised HD Polish finishes so well being a SMAT product. What speed did you use it on?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    In a few cases I haves used a AIO to finish down a finicky paint. Light cut, light polish and a little protection on a grey or red finishing pad. Might be worth a shot.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post

In a few cases I haves used a AIO to finish down a finicky paint. Light cut, light polish and a little protection on a grey or red finishing pad. Might be worth a shot.

Plus on difficult to polish paints, because there's a wax or some type of protection ingredients in an AIO that deposits itself and remains on the surface it will tend to fill in and mask any haze left behind. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends upon your perspective but in some cases if it gets the job done then go with it.

Here's a related thread for this topic...

Audi Soft Paint - Making Generalizations about Hardness and Softness

Also second the SF 4500 option or there's a couple of other Ultra Fine Cut polishes introduced lately like the SONAX Nano Polish. We used it to finish out this classic Vette using a gold jewelling pad with a rotary buffer...

1987 Corvette Show Car Makeover - SONAX Showcase

Machine Jewelling
    Next we switched over to Lake Country Gold Jewelling Pads and machine applied the SONAX Nano Polish, for this everyone stayed around the 600 to 800 RPM Range and re-polished each square inch using only light pressure while cleaning our pads often.

Post Thanks / Like

HD polish is so easy to remove as well, besides finishing so well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast