autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very finicky soft paint:)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Plus on difficult to polish paints, because there's a wax or some type of protection ingredients in an AIO that deposits itself and remains on the surface it will tend to fill in and mask any haze left behind. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends upon your perspective but in some cases if it gets the job done then go with it.

Here's a related thread for this topic...

Audi Soft Paint - Making Generalizations about Hardness and Softness

Also second the SF 4500 option or there's a couple of other Ultra Fine Cut polishes introduced lately like the SONAX Nano Polish. We used it to finish out this classic Vette using a gold jewelling pad with a rotary buffer...

1987 Corvette Show Car Makeover - SONAX Showcase

Machine Jewelling
    Next we switched over to Lake Country Gold Jewelling Pads and machine applied the SONAX Nano Polish, for this everyone stayed around the 600 to 800 RPM Range and re-polished each square inch using only light pressure while cleaning our pads often.

Thanx Mike, I realize what you're saying. I was just tryin to give the OP an alternative because he stated SF4500 on a gray pad didn't work for him.

Post Thanks / Like
    What machine are you polishing with? If you need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Onlito get the job done with what you have then I would try 4500/red pad. I used similar combo on a black, 2010 Camaro and got a haze free deep black finish; I used Menz 106(4000) on a hydrotech crimson pad.
    That definitely sounds like non-factory paint. Unless it was painted with the same factory paint system that the black Camaros have. Either way, hope something here helps get a haze free finish.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Flex 3401 grey hybrid pads. First passes with pressure to pull defects out than bumped the speed down with very little to no pressure for the last passes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Minute hazing left. I think in going to purchase some lake country constant pressure red pads. I love these pads and thy work awesome on 3401 and rotory

Post Thanks / Like

I beat my head against the wall trying to get super-soft Harley Vivid black to finish without haze or micromarring. I borrowed an improbable fix from Nick Chapman and tried finishing polish with an Orange LC cutting pad and was rewarded with perfection. I've since discovered a finishing pad with M105 worked equally as well. Backwards from the tried and true but you gotta go with whatever works with problematic paint. Go figure!

TL

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bremec View Post

Flex 3401 grey hybrid pads. First passes with pressure to pull defects out than bumped the speed down with very little to no pressure for the last passes!

Minute hazing left.

I'm just guessing here so correct me if I'm wrong... but the minute hazing is after using the Flex 3401 with the gray Hybrid foam pad and according to your post here,

I started of using wg finish glaze on white hybrid pad. The swirls were totally gone but I noticed after wiping a couple of panels off that there was da haze left over. So I said to myself no big deal ill use the grey finishing pads after the same process and even dropping the speed down with no pressure for my final passes, haze was still left over!

This paint is so soft I am debating in trying a red or blue pad to finish down perfect. Any suggestion otherwise.

I have sf4500 and used it on the grey pad, no luck still hazing on the black soft paint weeeeeee nightmare haha

All your work was done with the Flex 3401?

See what I wrote here when asked by Crazy Amos why I chose to finish out with a PC instead of the Flex 3401 (I did the correction work with the Flex 3401)

Christmas Detail - Ferrari P4 - Move over Rudolf

Here's the pertinent quotes...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Amos View Post

What made you decide to finish out with the Meguiar's GV110 vs the Flex?

Pad size selection or the non forced rotation maybe?

And here's my reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Good question...

I find on softer paints like this car has that the PC style with a Fine Cut Polish finishes out nicer than with the more powerful Flex 3401.

The paint on this car was incredibly soft. I only did my test spot using the Flex 3401 and end-results were acceptable, I did the PC step just to "make sure".

I also machine applied the wax using the PC.

Saw this car recently while working on a Maserati, still looks just like it looks in the pictures.

And for everyone reading this I used the early version of my VIF form for this car before buffing it out and also the other Ferrari I buffed out later that weekend...

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post

I beat my head against the wall trying to get super-soft Harley Vivid black to finish without haze or micromarring. I borrowed an improbable fix from Nick Chapman and tried finishing polish with an Orange LC cutting pad and was rewarded with perfection.

I've since discovered a finishing pad with M105 worked equally as well. Backwards from the tried and true but you gotta go with whatever works with problematic paint. Go figure!

TL

Nick's a great detailer and any tip from him is worth its weight in gold...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12