autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Truck deatailing questions

Having to use a more aggressive pad/polish is because you have harder paint. It has nothing to do with how new the vehicle. I know how you feel about learning to live with scratches on a daily driver. One thing you must realize is that you only have so much clear and can't continuously polish the paint aggressively.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. I thought I read that Ford had hard clears. The truck looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Im reading into this chart too much, but my main concern is the "Gloss" ratings. I used 1500 then 4500 without seeing a difference honestly in gloss. Im wondering if the fine polishing step was useless since you have to go over the whole truck again? Lot of work.

What do you guys think? Im seeing people using the wolfgang swirl remover and following it with the wolfgang glaze?

Post Thanks / Like

I recently picked up the Wolfgang duo and really enjoyed them. From what I've read, the Wolfgang duo is basically si1500 and sf4000 so I plan on trying them next to compare. If si1500 is anything like TSR on an orange pad, it finishes down to near LSP ready... So you might not really notice a whole lot of change as you are working with The finer polish but in my experience, when the vehicle is finished and pulled out of the garage... You'll notice the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nezff View Post
    Maybe Im reading into this chart too much, but my main concern is the "Gloss" ratings. I used 1500 then 4500 without seeing a difference honestly in gloss. Im wondering if the fine polishing step was useless since you have to go over the whole truck again? Lot of work.
    There are a lot of variables including paint type/hardness, pads used, general technique (polish actually broken down), and experience but if you did it correctly you should see an improvement in gloss.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
    I recently picked up the Wolfgang duo and really enjoyed them. From what I've read, the Wolfgang duo is basically si1500 and sf4000 so I plan on trying them next to compare. If si1500 is anything like TSR on an orange pad, it finishes down to near LSP ready... So you might not really notice a whole lot of change as you are working with The finer polish but in my experience, when the vehicle is finished and pulled out of the garage... You'll notice the difference.
    Right. The 1500 seemed to leave a somewhat glossy finish. Granted the finish was "fluffy" feeling. It wasn't slick, but more LSP ready. It did remove most if not all imperfections. I think the Menzerna will probably finish the same as the wolfgang twins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nezff View Post
    Up to this point I have washed the vehicle, clayed the vehicle, polished, then sealed.

Autobathe
    XMT speed clay
    Pinnacle Advanced Finishing polish
    Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0

The clay bar left some small scratches which most can be polished out. I used an ample amount of lube while claying and kept kneading the clay over and over multiple times. Used a couple different pieces also.

Talked with Nick and he explained basically to just polish most of the light scratches out with the Pinnacle finishing polish. I noticed one or two isolated deeper ones which possibly are from contaminates being trapped and drug over the surface.

Im looking at a couple different products for removing moderate scratches. Ive looked at the Menzerna line but unsure which would suit me. Ive spoke with Nick about the Wolfgang and Pinnacle Advanced swirl remover but I was worried it would be a tad too aggressive. He assured me that is isnt.

I was looking at the Menzerna Intensive 1500, power finish 2500, final finish 3000, and super finish 4000 or 4500. Im totally lost on which ones are going to be the one for me. I will be using the Lake Country 5.5 flat pads and the LC 4 inch CCS pads. Any of you guys that have used these or can recommend other products would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    There are a lot of variables including paint type/hardness, pads used, general technique (polish actually broken down), and experience but if you did it correctly you should see an improvement in gloss.
    Here is the truck pulled out of the garage under sunlight. I have only polished with 1500 then 4500. No sealant yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that looks awesome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capnp72 View Post
    Wow, that looks awesome!!
    Those pics are before selant. I just put the Menzerna power lock on. Will take new pics tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check out Opti Coat, it's advertised as a permanent sealant.

I want to Opti Coat my car, but Kinda want to play around with sealants, waxes, glazes for a bit lol.

Check this one out:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66009

Great truck to btw

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast