autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash, Clay, Machine polish and then hand apply sealant and or wax by hand?

Saw something on different site indicating that detailer did not use machine for Sealant and/or wax application or buffing! But applied and removed by hand! Would that methodology preclude a wet-look result? Clarify that machine WAS used for polishing after claying.

Thanks for feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash, Clay, Machine polish and then hand apply sealant and or wax by hand?

That's how I do it, FWIW. LSP by-hand. I've tried it by machine, but I find it to be quicker by-hand. Your mileage may vary.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

I do all my sealant and waxing by hand but thats just me. I know a lot of guys use a buffer to lay sealant on.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Are you asking why this particular detailer chooses such, to apply and remove final sealants, and/or waxes by hand?

Different camps of thought I reckon, some might feel that waxes-sealants can be spread thinner, and applied-removed more uniformly by machine, and also that the machine might cut application and removal times.

Some might even think the machine might provide a glossier final finish, and others might even believe the machine may somehow "fill" any slight marring-swirls?

I myself lately prefer hand applications of final sealants-waxes, as I believe the polishes and glazes if you use them first are usually what corrects, and shines the paint the most.

Other thoughts are the worry of possibly picking up an errant piece of grit on a machine pad, and now having that damage spread to the entire paint finish.

I feel I have better control by a hand application, that I can better "surgically" apply the products where they need to be, and not in areas where I didn't want product.

That the shortening of time spent by machine applications can often be offset by the need to now remove product in all sorts of nooks, and crannies that wouldn't have occured had I hand applied.

I gather this is what you meant, and not referring to applying, and removing waxes-sealants with a bare hand with no applicator, or towels, correct? Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Hi,
    Are you asking why this particular detailer chooses such, to apply and remove final sealants, and/or waxes by hand?

Different camps of thought I reckon, some might feel that waxes-sealants can be spread thinner, and applied-removed more uniformly by machine, and also that the machine might cut application and removal times.

Some might even think the machine might provide a glossier final finish, and others might even believe the machine may somehow "fill" any slight marring-swirls?

I myself lately prefer hand applications of final sealants-waxes, as I believe the polishes and glazes if you use them first are usually what corrects, and shines the paint the most.

Other thoughts are the worry of possibly picking up an errant piece of grit on a machine pad, and now having that damage spread to the entire paint finish.

I feel I have better control by a hand application, that I can better "surgically" apply the products where they need to be, and not in areas where I didn't want product.

That the shortening of time spent by machine applications can often be offset by the need to now remove product in all sorts of nooks, and crannies that wouldn't have occured had I hand applied.

I gather this is what you meant, and not referring to applying, and removing waxes-sealants with a bare hand with no applicator, or towels, correct? Mark
    Thanks.. Yes I mean with an applicator. To clarify your response .. You don 't believe that would foreclose the possibility of a wet look shine because the machine polishing would have done most of the work? Or am I misinterpreting? Thnx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I do all my sealant and waxing by hand but thats just me. I know a lot of guys use a buffer to lay sealant on.
    I would be one of those guys. I prefer to do all my waxes/sealants by machine. Although every so often I will do it by hand when I feel like going old school.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to seal and wax by hand. Just to be different I would apply by machine. Personally, I think I can cover a car faster and with better quality by hand than by machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    I would be one of those guys. I prefer to do all my waxes/sealants by machine. Although every so often I will do it by hand when I feel like going old school.
    I can remember back in the olden days (God, I'm an old fart when I think of this!), and I'm talking a good 25-30 years ago, when I'd buff a car out with a rotary buffer, and the good old wool pads, I would follow up with my Waxcoa Orbital Waxer.

They were somewhat similar in regards to the new DA machines we all use, same principal, just larger, and more cumbersome, but with careful use, one could get good rotation, and this was one method I commonly used to get rid of any minor holograms created from the Rotary, and compounds-glazes-cleaner waxes-etc.

Liking the effects of what these machines did, I often found myself using the Waxcoa's for regular waxing, some of it I think was for entertainment purposes, but these machines did seem to better correct the paint than by bare hand applications, so I felt there was a definite benefit.

Perhaps many of you notice similar qualities, that the DA Applications of waxes-sealants offer this advantage?

I've never tried doing this with my PC DA, but just might one day as I do have a plethora of soft Black-Red LC 5.5" Pads on hand. I even have the "Baby Griots" 3", which some say they like for final finishes. Just need to get the proper pads for it.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of places on my car that a DA cannot reach or even a 3" gg so I just wax or apply sealant by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to use a machine to apply my LSP. I find i use less product than i would by hand, and it leaves a thin even layer. My hand also gets all cramped up when i apply by hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast