autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie -- 98 Sienna - First Detail - need advice

I'm a rookie who's never done any detailing. I have a white 1998 Toyota Sienna with some scratches, oxidation that I would like to improve it's looks. It's a daily driver not a show car. There's so much info not sure where to start. I want products that good value, easy to use ,and forgiving. I will learn on the van move to my other vehicles. Don't want an expensive investment.

Thinking about doing the following and need help with the gaps:
    purchase a DA and use 5.5 pads
    wash
    Clay
    Meg's UC -- which color foam pads?
    Some polish -- ?? which color foam pads?
    Wax -- Meg's NXT

What else?

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs NXT is a sealant, keep in mind they call it a wax, but your on the right track as far as using sealants with light colors.

Not from personal experience, but many here have had good luck with LC HydroTech pads, you might want to look into those.

Maybe someone who uses LC HT pads can chime in and give you the recomendations on which color goes with what product.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie -- 98 Sienna - First Detail - need advice

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/...d-pad-kit.html

I like these pads. They are durable and get the job done for not alot of $$$.

Ultimate Compound= yellow,orange or white
    Ultimate Polish= white or black

These are the Hydrotech pads that the above poster mentioned.
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice!

Ultimate Compound= Cyan
    Ultimate Polish= Tangerine

Of course a test spot is the only way for you to know which pad will work the best. It looks like a good plan you got. You'l definately have the shiniest mini van on the block!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    Megs NXT is a sealant, keep in mind they call it a wax, but your on the right track as far as using sealants with light colors.

Not from personal experience, but many here have had good luck with LC HydroTech pads, you might want to look into those.

Maybe someone who uses LC HT pads can chime in and give you the recomendations on which color goes with what product.
    If I use the nxt sealant for the final step, any suggestions for the polish should I use for that step?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

any recommendations for for MF towels? Again looking for good performer but not a lot of cost.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Icepick,

Since this is your first time around I suggest you go with Duragloss products rather than Megs in this instance; specifically an AIO since this is a daily driver. You won't get a significant amount of correction compared to a compound but you will definitely see an improvement in the paint finish when you are done.

- You will reduce DA-time by half with an AIO since only one pass is required
    - Not that Megs is bad, but Duragloss tends to finish better and with less polishing oils that will need to be removed from the paint (prior to sealing/waxing)
    - After 1-2 details you should be able to correct swirls better with the DA and begin to move from AIO products to pure compounds and polishes if you so desire; and once you spend some time with the paint you will see every defect and may have more questions.
    - Not that this is a bad thing at all but Megs NXT has mild cleaners in it and since it is 100% synthetic it falls under the cleaner/sealant category. You also cannot layer NXT so durability will not be very long.

General Process

1- Wash/Strip
    *2- Decontaminate with IronX
    3- Clay (Megs or Mother's Clay system will do fine)
    4- Duragloss 501/601 Combo (mix 4 parts 501 to 1 part 601 in a squeeze bottle)
    5- IPA Wipedown (mix IsoPropyl Alcohol and water @ 10:1 in a spray bottle)
    6- Megs NXT (white pads - have 2-3 ready because they will get filthy)
    *7- Optimum Car Wax

Items with a "*" are optional. I really included them to give you a broader overview of what else can be done. Based on the above you will need to acquire:

1. DA Polisher with pads
    2. Clay Bar and Clay Lubricant
    3. MF towels
    4. MF applicator pad
    5. Squeeze bottle (for Duragloss mixture)
    6. Spray bottle (for IPA)
    7. Duragloss 501 & Duragloss 601
    8. Megs NXT
    *9. Optimum Car Wax
    *10. IronX

If you want to stick with Megs and not venture to Duragloss at this time then go with Megs ColorX as it is considered an AIO.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Icepick,
    Not that this is a bad thing at all but Megs NXT has mild cleaners in it and since it is 100% synthetic it falls under the cleaner/sealant category. You also cannot layer NXT so durability will not be very long.

If you want to stick with Megs and not venture to Duragloss at this time then go with Megs ColorX as it is considered an AIO.
    Since duragloss is an AIO should I use a white pad with it too?

Only reason I suggested NXT was due to the fact I had some laying around because I have used it to wax my 30' Fiberglass Travel trailer a couple of times a year.

There's a lot to consider. Long term plan is to do my 2004 Red Ford Explorer which is in fair condition and then maintain my wife's 2013 Mazda CX-5 (grey). Wife's car is in good shape. Figure the explorer would follow same steps and products as the Sienna. Wife's car probably doesn't need all those steps especially the compounds. Besides clay what would you recommend specifically for the 2013 Mazda?

Thanks
    Last edited by icepickjazz; 03-22-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: add another question

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by icepickjazz View Post
    Since duragloss is an AIO should I use a white pad with it too?

Only reason I suggested NXT was due to the fact I had some laying around because I have used it to wax my 30' Fiberglass Travel trailer a couple of times a year.

There's a lot to consider. Long term plan is to do my 2004 Red Ford Explorer which is in fair condition and then maintain my wife's 2013 Mazda CX-5 (grey). Wife's car is in good shape. Figure the explorer would follow same steps and products as the Sienna. Wife's car probably doesn't need all those steps especially the compounds. Besides clay what would you recommend specifically for the 2013 Mazda?

Thanks
    White pad (polishing pad) will be perfect. Stick with White as a starting point for each panel. Sometimes Orange followed with White will be necessary on some panels and over time you will know when to start with orange. The science and product knowledge only gets you so far and the approach above is safe.

I would use the same approach above with the Mazda as well; assuming the paint condition is similar. Remember, use a test spot to lock-in the process, pressure amount and passes you will use.

Post Thanks / Like

Also look into XMT360... That's what fueled my first details, customers were very happy and I got my feet wet polishing... Most people aren't paying for paint correction, when they get a detail.. some wouldn't even really notice a difference if u did a two step without pointing it out to them.... U will probably get more of a wow factor with a super clean interior since that's where they spend most of their time and shiny tires!! Unless this person knows what a swirl actually is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
    Also look into XMT360... That's what fueled my first details, customers were very happy and I got my feet wet polishing... Most people aren't paying for paint correction, when they get a detail.. some wouldn't even really notice a difference if u did a two step without pointing it out to them.... U will probably get more of a wow factor with a super clean interior since that's where they spend most of their time and shiny tires!! Unless this person knows what a swirl actually is!
    CW, I didn't mention XMT 360 because it wouldn't be feasible to layer Megs NXT on top of it. I do agree with your comments on XMT 360 though and I have 8 oz. or so left on my 2-yro bottle.

XMT360 would replace NXT and Duragloss in the approach I illustrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast