autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

megs microfiber pads questions

I have been using Lake County 5.5" flat pads on my G110 polisher. I am using a 5" LC backer plate.
    I have been getting great results with these pads ,but I have been reading a lot of good reviews on Meguires Microfiber pads and have a couple of questions :

Will these pads fit my 5" LC backer plate properly ?

How does D300 cut in relation to M105 on a orange or white LC pad ?

I dont think I want to use the finishing wax as I like My Blackfire White Diamond and
    Meguiars Ultimate Wax results with a foam pad so I could probably skip purchase of Finishing pads and Finishing Wax.

Would it be a better choice to buy the whole kit or just the cut pads and D300 ?

Thanks in advance !

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: megs microfiber pads questions

The Megs pads will work with your 5in lc bp. D300 has slightly less cut than M105 but it finishes like a polish and from my use is usually lsp ready. I wouldn't buy the entire kit, just the 5.5in pads and D300 compound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    The Megs pads will work with your 5in lc bp. D300 has slightly less cut than M105 but it finishes like a polish and from my use is usually lsp ready. I wouldn't buy the entire kit, just the 5.5in pads and D300 compound.
    I would just get D300 and finish with a foam pad. If you want something like 105 but easier to work with get Mez FG400.

Post Thanks / Like

It will fit the 5" LC BP fine but I would still use the W67DA backing plate from Meg's. The hook and loop attachment may be different between the 2 manufacturer's. If it is then it might cause unwanted heat that could lead to the pad's premature failure.

You could skip D301 if you plan on using your own wax.

My go to process with the DA microfiber system is:

D300/MF cutting --> M205/foam finishing --> Wax

Since you're not using the D301/MF finishing pads then I would just buy the D300/MF cutting separately.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    It will fit the 5" LC BP fine but I would still use the W67DA backing plate from Meg's. The hook and loop attachment may be different between the 2 manufacturer's. If it is then it might cause unwanted heat that could lead to the pad's premature failure.

You could skip D301 if you plan on using your own wax.

My go to process with the DA microfiber system is:

D300/MF cutting --> M205/foam finishing --> Wax

Since you're not using the D301/MF finishing pads then I would just buy the D300/MF cutting separately.
    on this as well........don't spend the money on the finishing disks if your using a different lsp.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I would just get D300 and finish with a foam pad. If you want something like 105 but easier to work with get Mez FG400.
    +1 I agree. FG400 does dust less and easier to use than 105. Whenever more cut is necesary, by all means use 105. For ease of use I would give the edge to FG400.

With that said, D300 with a MF disc, and finishing with a foam pad is the new 1-2 punch instead of the old 105/205 combo, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    ^I have always needed to follow up D300 with a finishing polish. It definitely leaves micro marring, but may only be easily detected on darker paints. I feel it is always best to follow up a compound, no matter how well you think it might finish down, something like SF4500 can always bring out more gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    ^I agree... cut with MF pad, finish with foam. Great combo.

FG400 is a fabulous compound to work with... then again so is D300. I have both and use them regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    +1 I agree. FG400 does dust less and easier to use than 105. Whenever more cut is necesary, by all means use 105. For ease of use I would give the edge to FG400.

With that said, D300 with a MF disc, and finishing with a foam pad is the new 1-2 punch instead of the old 105/205 combo, IMO.
    ^Exactly what he said.

Retired Professional Detailer