autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best DA Polisher for Beginner

For me, I did alll the research and spent alot of money buying what I didn't need...I bought the one that is used on AirForce One and it didn't meet my day to day needs. I bought the Griot's and I didn't think it was powerful enough...Then I spent the good money on the Flex and I have never looked back...BTW...I have two D/A's for sale...lol
    My name is Jeff and I like to make things SHINE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Get a Griots GG6. It has the power to spin 6.5" pads, and has the versatility to use pads as small as 3". I don't believe a Flex or Rupes can use pads that small.

When using my Griots, I may jump from a 6.5" pad to a 3" pad, depending on the area I'm working on. Using the right size pad really helps. You'd be amazed how many areas require 3-4" pads on newer or sports cars. Also, sometimes, like on hoods, using a 6.5" pad can speed things up if your just doing minor correction or applying glaze or wax.

The advantage the Griots has is that it has the power to easily spin large pads. The other two machines (PC / Meg's) tend to bog down easier. The Griots even has the power to correct glass with the right pads and polish. A PC may be more reliable, but the Griots does come with a lifetime warranty - others I believe is one year.

Using a different size pad is as easy as unscrewing the backing plate. I was a PC user for years, but I switched to a Griots when they redesigned them and were selling them for $99. I'm very happy with it. And it's smooth and powerful for me.

If I was starting all over, I would want to start with a Rupes. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the 15 or the 21 can be used with a 3" backing plate (none made ?) - and that would be a deal breaker for me. I use 3-4" pads 40% of the time.

As for the Flex, I've never used it. But if your doing this has a hobby (occasionally) and are just starting out, for the price of a new Flex, you can get a Griots DA, multiple backing plates and pads, polishes, etc... - everything you need.
    I agree. A GG6 is a perfect balance between power and reasonable price. Expensive DA's like the Flex & Rupes are designed with the professional in mind, able to withstand the day to day heavy use and faster correction ability. You can do ANYTHING the Flex or Rupes can do with a GG6.

So whats the overall difference? With a flex youll be able to correct an estimated 40-50% faster. Is that worth 3-4 hundred dollars more? IMO unless your in the business, I wouldnt think so. You can use that money to buy pads & products.

At the end of the day, either your paint looks swirl free, or it doesnt. Regardless of what DA you used to achieve that. I know some detailers that will run circles on people with expensive DA's, with a PORTER CABLE.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advise.. Greatly appreciated

GG6.. A friend of mine gave me his Meg W67DA backing plate 5" and 6" pads and well as a LC 3.5" backing plate with 4" pads. Does the GG6 work well with these?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also.. with regards to the GG6 is the 3rd generation (10813) the best to get vs GG6 10765I assuming 2nd generation??.. Price difference is only $20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by motors View Post
    Thanks for all the advise.. Greatly appreciated

GG6.. A friend of mine gave me his Meg W67DA backing plate 5" and 6" pads and well as a LC 3.5" backing plate with 4" pads. Does the GG6 work well with these?
    LoL absolutely, thats my current set up! Exact to the tee, W67DA with 6.5 pads & 3.5 LC plate with 4" pads. How well does it work? Look up my posts for reference

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motors View Post
    Also.. with regards to the GG6 is the 3rd generation (10813) the best to get vs GG6 10765I assuming 2nd generation??.. Price difference is only $20
    Yes absolutely! Ergonomically I hate my 2nd gen GG compared to my now sold PC 7424 XP. On the 3rd gen GG, they have switched the buttons to be exactly like the PC 7424 XP and extra cushioning unique to the GG.

If I had to do it over again, I would've got the 3rd gen GG.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Get a Griots GG6. It has the power to spin 6.5" pads, and has the versatility to use pads as small as 3". I don't believe a Flex or Rupes can use pads that small.

When using my Griots, I may jump from a 6.5" pad to a 3" pad, depending on the area I'm working on. Using the right size pad really helps. You'd be amazed how many areas require 3-4" pads on newer or sports cars. Also, sometimes, like on hoods, using a 6.5" pad can speed things up if your just doing minor correction or applying glaze or wax.

The advantage the Griots has is that it has the power to easily spin large pads. The other two machines (PC / Meg's) tend to bog down easier. The Griots even has the power to correct glass with the right pads and polish. A PC may be more reliable, but the Griots does come with a lifetime warranty - others I believe is one year.

Using a different size pad is as easy as unscrewing the backing plate. I was a PC user for years, but I switched to a Griots when they redesigned them and were selling them for $99. I'm very happy with it. And it's smooth and powerful for me.

for the price of a new Flex, you can get a Griots DA, multiple backing plates and pads, polishes, etc... - everything you need.
    Thanks a TON... this is exactly what I'd have said!

So.... exactly with

To the OP; Get the GG6 you'll be glad you did! The ability to drive large pads, plus change pad sizes is something you'll grow to love. But, (and this is HUGE) do some homework and get TWICE as many pads as you think you'll need. In all honesty, the cost of the DA is chump change to what you'll end up spending on pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased the gg second gen. which came with 6 inch backing plate and 5 white lcc 6 inch pads. I also purchased a 5 inch lcc backing plate and 18 five and a half Inch lcc flats assorted pads . The pads almost equal the price of the buffer itself . But I'd rather have to many then get caught up having to clean them in the middle of a paint correction.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Thanks a TON... this is exactly what I'd have said!

So.... exactly with

To the OP; Get the GG6 you'll be glad you did! The ability to drive large pads, plus change pad sizes is something you'll grow to love. But, (and this is HUGE) do some homework and get TWICE as many pads as you think you'll need. In all honesty, the cost of the DA is chump change to what you'll end up spending on pads.

clean and wash your pads and they will last longer.
    My name is Jeff and I like to make things SHINE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the best way to clean pad. I was thinking to do a on the fly cleaning and then soak them in a apc or dawn mixture . Then rinse and ring them out well . And then them foam side down on a terry clothe to dry out. Is this a good method?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast