autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Witch pads should I get? ???

Hello everyone I am getting ready to purchase the gg 2nd gen polisher that comes with the bonus pads . My question is as stated in the subject witch pads? I know I should go with the 5 inch backing plate. So I was wonder what works the best in yalls opinion? O and also about how many of each should I purchase?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Witch pads should I get? ???

5.5 pads are a good choice for any of the newer da's. You just opened up a can o worms asking about pads though, everyone prefers one or the other. I personally use a combo of hydrotech pads from lake country and B&S pads. Best opinion I can give you if buy a few from each manufacturer and use what you like.

Post Thanks / Like

The 5.5 pads in either flats or hydrotech are really nice pads to use on a DA such as yours.

I like to have 3 minimum of each color on hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about the lcc pads. What about microfiber ones . I've never used thos before . ?

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber pads are typically used for heavier cutting jobs, there are lots of compounds and polishes designed for use with MF, like Meg's D300, however they're somewhat tougher to clean if you don't have compressed air.

I like the LC flat pads for the price, personally.
    07 Mazda 6i

Post Thanks / Like

The mf discs offer tons of correction ability.

What are you trying to work on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    The 5.5 pads in either flats or hydrotech are really nice pads to use on a DA such as yours.

I like to have 3 minimum of each color on hand.
    If you have to compromise get more polishing and cutting pads than finishing/waxing pads. They will be doing the grunt work. I like the regular flats and the Hydrotechs. I do not care for the CCS as much but I must admit, I haven't given them much of a chance.

Do you have Mike Phillips' book "The Art of Detailing" ? I forget which page but he says "As long as you use good product and technique any quality pad will perfom well". Or something along those lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet I may order it tho on thus next order. I would love to take a class from that guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend you order Mike's book on your next order. There is so much info packed into that book and it will get you off on the right foot from the start.

Post Thanks / Like

Pads and product choices can be confusing but if you look at their writeup it's pretty easy to tell what they're used for. Keep in mind that these are recommendations and there are no hard fast rules but if you use their writeup as a guide you'll be fine...

Foam Pads

Yellow Cutting Foam
    - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast