autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 3M Scotchgard film - Maintenance

I have the front end of my car covered with the 3M Scotchgard product to prevent the pitting from the sand and gravel used on the road here in Nebraska during the winter months. Does anyone know if I can clay, polish and wax this material as I would the rest of the car? I've asked the installer and he seems clueless. Thanks for any suggestions!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have PPF (Llumar) installed on the front of my vehicle. It's safe to say I have clayed it and then applied a sealant/wax on top of it. I was advised by a detailer not to use a polish on it. To be on the safe side, I would just clay and seal. I've included a cross section of the 3M PPF. The info you are seeking is located here towards the bottom of the page subtitiled Care.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have 3M on my car (yet), but what Hawhyen51 says sounds like good advise. I wouldnt polish it just clay carefully and wax/seal. Polishing might damage the film and lead to discoloring (eventually)?!?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have 3m film on my car.. and it appears "dusty".. not sure what i should do to remove this, if anything.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by samson
    i have 3m film on my car.. and it appears "dusty".. not sure what i should do to remove this, if anything.
    Try this first, moisten a MF towel with a diluted mixture of carwash soap and water and gently clean the area. If the dusting still appears to be there, try a fine grade clay with a generous amount of lube and gentely rub an incon####uous area. The clay should remove any foreign matter. Finish it off with your favorite sealant/wax. Believe me, you feel and see the difference.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    ya.. ill give that a try. Im skeptical about using clay anywhere near the edges of the film though. it ended up getting under the edge of the film before, and i had to redo it, as it was lifting. it cakes up along the edges.