autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Consumer Reports Wax ratings

Look how the more expensive stuff like Griot's compare to the Wal-mart brands! How do the Higher end products compare? Pinnacle, PB, DP etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting results. I don't kno if I agree with some of the stuff that comes out of Consumer reports. I used to have a subscription to it but found out tha for "some" results were based on people's opinion not on product performance. Specially when it came to vehicles...mmm...I could be wrong but that's what I found out.

But still interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really? wow thats interesting.
    CR is like my bible on products, if they say it sucks I stop using it even if my experience was good. HAHA Mindless follower I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMINUS
    Really? wow thats interesting.
    CR is like my bible on products, if they say it sucks I stop using it even if my experience was good. HAHA Mindless follower I guess.
    I was like you, if they said jump I just said how high lol. Then when I started looking at vehicles that's when I really went deep into the re-search and found that Consumer Reports are based on peoples opinion....I found that very interesting and started comparing with other reviews and well that's when I diviated from Consumer Report. Just my experiance though, dosen't mean there reviews are garbage. I still think some stuff is good to read there review. But now I know that there re-search is from other owners opinion only. No biggie.

Post Thanks / Like
    these always make me laugh. I guees it goes to show everything in life is personal prefrence

Post Thanks / Like
    Consumer Reports? LOL.

No offense man but there is a reason it is referred to as "CRap" for many people .

Also, I wouldn't look at their wax rating. They're one of the people who expect wax to "clean," remove swirls, and make their dinner. They really don't know anything.

It'd sort of be like Martha Stewart doing Monday Night Football.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I have no doubt that they could end up with the results posted. The thing to remember here is that there isn't the same type of prep involved in one of these tests as the good people of AG are used to. That said, with a properly prepped car these results aren't worth the paper they're written on. I could put a drop of super glue on a finish and have a shiny long lasting top coat.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the Black Magic liquid wax based on CR's recommendation. Their rating of "Good" on Ease Of Use was a bit optimistic in my opinion. The stuff doesn't dry. Ever.

(I read some reviews later and saw where some guy left a test patch for a week and it still was smeary and greasy.)

Anyway, the stuff was a cast iron Hillary to wipe off. Smeared a whole lot and took more towels than normal to remove from my itty-bitty car. (07 Honda Fit)

It looks okay, probably better than some of the other OTC waxes I've used, but nothing stunning. The greasy consistency of the wax -did- make it less prone to leaving lots of residue in emblems and seams. Granted, my car is silver so it's not the best finish to showcase a wax. I can't say anything about durability, since it's only been two weeks.

I think that my opinion of it is that if Black Magic is CR's best wax, I'd sure hate to see their worst.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously take everything CR reports on with a serious grain of salt. Ever noticed how they NEVER recommend any vehicle that's not Jap? Give me a break...

My mother-in-law has a subscription for it and I enjoy flicking through it (especially the last page is funny) but when I read that Turtle Wax is the second best wax you can buy, it's a good reality check not to believe everything you read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast