autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Advice On Products For Black Car

Just recently (this week) purchased a new (used) black car and thought I do a little web research on waxes. I haven’t had a black car seen ‘83 and figured times must have changed since then. Didn’t remember that car having a Top Coat ???

I remember back then there was a rule that you needed to do everything (wash, polish and wax) in the direction of the air flow or you’d have swirl marks … is that still true ?

I’m having information overload reading through all the different Car Care products listed on this site, but they appear to be the top of the line products. I’m one that doesn’t mind washing and waxing his car multiple times a year, but in Wisconsin that window is only about 5 or 6 months. So I could use some advice from the experience detailers on this forum as to recommendations. My first thought was to maybe purchase the Forum Favorite Kit, but as you can see, I could use some advice.

Thanks, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    You will get a lot of information and different product recommendations. The important thing is that you take your time to let all of this information settle in before you buy.

I was in your same exact position a few months ago and spent a good amount of money on things that I ultimately decided I didn't want once I had more information. The good thing is, pretty much everything Autogeek sells is high quality stuff, so you almost can't go wrong.

There are a couple of products you will want to look at, with many different companies providing those products, such as polishes, sealants, and waxes. Those will be the three main products for correcting and maintaining your paint. You will then have all of the ancillary products such as car wash, tire dressing, microfiber towels, sponges, auto glass cleaner, and interior cleaners. Lots of stuff to sift through.

Good luck, and remember, wait a bit before you make that first order to let all of the information you are about ready to get set in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, I suggest you look in the Click & Brag section and see what people use for their black cars. It's an easy way to get a good feel of what products you need to purchase to achieve those results.

Personally, I have two black vehicles and I polished them both with Poorboys SSR2.5 and then SSR1 on an orange and a white pad. Great results!

For sealant I use Zaino Z2 Pro and my wax of choice is Chemical Guys Pete's '53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish- XMT s easy to use and highly customizable. Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Advance Finishing Polish are also very nice.

For black....me, along with many others, are going to suggest Pinnacle Souveran. Its the best bang for the buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get a PC kit that comes with an assortment of pads and polishes, like the PB kit or the XMT kit. From there I would pick up a nice wax like Natty Blue or Souveran if you have the $$. Than I would get a various assortment of MF towels including a guzzler, car wash, schmitt. With that you will be able to have your car looking better than 95% of the rest.
    Frank
    Thanks to AG I only wipe my butt with MF's now

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wiscTom
    Just recently (this week) purchased a new (used) black car and thought I do a little web research on waxes. I haven’t had a black car seen ‘83 and figured times must have changed since then. Didn’t remember that car having a Top Coat ???

I remember back then there was a rule that you needed to do everything (wash, polish and wax) in the direction of the air flow or you’d have swirl marks … is that still true ?

I’m having information overload reading through all the different Car Care products listed on this site, but they appear to be the top of the line products. I’m one that doesn’t mind washing and waxing his car multiple times a year, but in Wisconsin that window is only about 5 or 6 months. So I could use some advice from the experience detailers on this forum as to recommendations. My first thought was to maybe purchase the Forum Favorite Kit, but as you can see, I could use some advice.

Thanks, Tom
    Must for a black car would be:

PC7424
    Edge 2000 6" pads
    XMT Polishes (1-4,360)
    Lots of Cobra MF towels (Guzzler is a must for Drying)
    Quick Detailer - Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Finish Kare 425, Clearkote Quikshine
    All White SHMiTT
    Good car wash soap - Poorboy's Super Slick&Suds.

That's about it.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bambo2888
    Polish- XMT s easy to use and highly customizable. Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Advance Finishing Polish are also very nice.

For black....me, along with many others, are going to suggest Pinnacle Souveran. Its the best bang for the buck.
    Does the Pinnacle Souveran cover up scratches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Helps to mask them, yes.

If you have black you must own Souveran. It's a given.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wash --- Duragloss or Poorboys

Clay --- any will do, Pinnacles Ultra nice offering

Paint Cleaner -- Pinnacle or P21S

Polish --- Menzerna

Sealant --- Four Star UPP, Wolfgang (consider adding Polycharger)

Wax --- Pinnacle Souveran Paste

Washing, drying will lead to most swirls. Do a search on "c6" I did a writeup you might like !! WELCOME !!!

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far im gettin the pinnacle souveran. Now what else do i NEED? My car has 2k miles on it and its never been waxed or anything. Should i claybar it before i wax it? I wanna polish out the scrathes but i dont have a polisher and dont plan on gettin one. Is there a good polish to use by hand because my back bumber got hit in an accident and the scratches are pretty bad but didnt get past the clear coat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast