autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot’s Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher 3rd gen or 2nd gen??

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    I like LC pads but you should try the CG Hex Pads also very nice. I just demoed LC CCS, CG Hex Pads & LC Hybrid pads on a Flex 3401. All nice pads. Previously used the CCS & Hex pads on a PC and RB.

Just saw the CG Hex Pads on amazon a 3 pack i believe while I was making a purchase for the CG Carpet drill brush tool. I got free shipping on it... wish I knew about them sooner..

oh well next round Ill purchase a couple .

Thanks for the heads up

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
    Thanks Just placed my order

Went w/ the 3rd gen. only 10 bucks more had them match a competitor and switch out to the 5" backing plate and I had 20 dollars off AG BUCKS plus ordered these pads

Lake Country CCS 5.5 Inch Foam Pads

Orange
    White
    Green
    Gray
    Blue
    Red

Congrats! You are about to have some serious fun brother.
    (Hope you got 6X multiples of the white, green & gray at the very least)

Later,

Cardaddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Congrats! You are about to have some serious fun brother.
    (Hope you got 6X multiples of the white, green & gray at the very least)

Later,

Cardaddy

Yeah I'm looking forward to it... Doing 2 new clients this weekend

I actually just bought 1 of each.

wanted to try out the LC pads

also planning to place a small order for some CG Hex pads and see what I like best.

Then I will be purchasing more of the pads I prefer to work with

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
    Yeah I'm looking forward to it... Doing 2 new clients this weekend

I actually just bought 1 of each.

wanted to try out the LC pads

also planning to place a small order for some CG Hex pads and see what I like best.

Then I will be purchasing more of the pads I prefer to work with
    You are going to do TWO cars this weekend with only ONE pad of a given color? Yikes!

How are you going to do a test spot to figure out which one works, then pick *that* color to finish?

Honestly though.... I don't know anyone that does more than a normal sized panel with a pad, pushing one pad through an entire hood or roof is at best dangerous. And can be catastrophic.....

If doing compound, polish, sealant & wax on a coupe I'll go through 15 easy. (2~3 being for sealant & wax)
    On an SUV that number goes past 2 dozen!
    One step OTOH can get away with maybe 6 to 8 depending on how many swirls can be corrected (well not actually corrected like compounded but at least helped) with a polish/sealant combo product.

Later,

Cardaddy

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to do TWO cars this weekend with only ONE pad of a given color? Yikes!

How are you going to do a test spot to figure out which one works, then pick *that* color to finish?

Honestly though.... I don't know anyone that does more than a normal sized panel with a pad, pushing one pad through an entire hood or roof is at best dangerous. And can be catastrophic.....

If doing compound, polish, sealant & wax on a coupe I'll go through 15 easy. (2~3 being for sealant & wax)
    On an SUV that number goes past 2 dozen!
    One step OTOH can get away with maybe 6 to 8 depending on how many swirls can be corrected (well not actually corrected like compounded but at least helped) with a polish/sealant combo product.

Later,

Cardaddy
    Wait, how many??????? 2 pads per hood? Wow, I think I need new pads!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boi View Post

Yeah 2 pads per hood is a bit too much. I use 1 pad per hood, clean often & on the fly!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    Yeah 2 pads per hood is a bit too much. I use 1 pad per hood, clean often & on the fly!
    I'm both messing with y'all and being truthful at the same time. Sure, its possible to do a hood with 1 pad (if it ain't huge) but you'll use another one for the polishing stage. Ergo 2 pads minimum.

OTOH if it's old or dry or needs tons of work, 1 (foam) pad will overheat long before it's done it's work and have to be changed out. Especially if working with a lot of cut. Before that happens I'll do a 'clean on the fly', lay it down to cool and pickup another one to keep on going. Can still go back to that pad later and use it till it's time to pull it outta' service. Either way that's 2 pads.

Just found that it's easier, faster, and does a better job to change pads often. Plus I believe anyone that's done it before knows there is simply no way you'll do an entire car with less than 4 ~ 6 pads much less 1 or 2. Adding to that you MUST take the time to clean them, and (hopefully) let them dry, and try to do another car the same day.... just not gonna' happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm both messing with y'all and being truthful at the same time. Sure, its possible to do a hood with 1 pad (if it ain't huge) but you'll use another one for the polishing stage. Ergo 2 pads minimum.

OTOH if it's old or dry or needs tons of work, 1 (foam) pad will overheat long before it's done it's work and have to be changed out. Especially if working with a lot of cut. Before that happens I'll do a 'clean on the fly', lay it down to cool and pickup another one to keep on going. Can still go back to that pad later and use it till it's time to pull it outta' service. Either way that's 2 pads.

Just found that it's easier, faster, and does a better job to change pads often. Plus I believe anyone that's done it before knows there is simply no way you'll do an entire car with less than 4 ~ 6 pads much less 1 or 2. Adding to that you MUST take the time to clean them, and (hopefully) let them dry, and try to do another car the same day.... just not gonna' happen.

Thanks for all the advice.. Not doing them all in the same day and My scenario has changed so Looks like things should work better for me. here's my new scenario.

Client wants just an overall clean up job on a white nissan murano that he is trading in.

Next week I will be coming back over to do his

Silver SL 500 and

Gray bmw 330ci.

SO I have decided to place an order for more LC pads today during the 15% off sale and free shipping over 125.

Quick Question... Are the pads they sell at Autozone or advanced auto parts good enough to use as back up pads till the other good stuff arrives?

This is my planning for the white murano.

Wash/ IronX / Clay / AIO XMT 360 and top with Light Fantastic.

His only concern area is the Hood . other than that the car is in pretty good condition and is being sold . so no worries if this one doesn't come out 100% like I want and plan to do with the benz and bimmer

I just need this one to look good enough.. I figured I could mostly concentrate using the D/A for this job on the hood . Hand for the rest if I have to ...

unless pads from AZ or AAP stores would get me by..

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP for

From anyone who can chime in about pads..

Thanks

- John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I have the second gen and I would recommend the third gen. The switches are in super inconvenient locations.
    100% agree. The 3rd gen is much better ergonimically better too! I had a 2nd and traded with a friend for an XP. Sold the XP and bought the 3rd because the XP is under powered in comparison to either GG.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast