autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotary Buffer Question

I'm just getting started with this new hobby and I happen to already own a Craftsman 9 in rotary buffer. I do not know the specifics off hand such as speeds etc. I have some terry cloth bonnets and a lambs wool bonnet. Just reading some of the other threads I'm positive this buffer is far inferior to what most experienced guys are using. My question is will I do any harm to my truck using this until I can get a higher quality tool? My truck is silver and it's 10 years old so the paint is pretty beat up. My initial plan is to start claying, compound, polish, and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary Buffer Question

You have to be extremely careful with a rotary. You can burn through the paint pretty easy. You might want to get a practice panel to work on first.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of searching all over, Mike Phillips has written some great articles on rotary machines so I've simply copied them here..........

Rotary Buffers
    Rotary Buffers are the most powerful type of tool used to work on paint. These tools use a direct drive gear mechanism to rotate a pad under pressure in a single direction. This type of tool works fastest for removing sanding marks after wetsanding, serious paint defects and oxidation off both cars and boats. These types of tools will tend to leave holograms behind that are best removed using dual action type polishers for a swirl-free finish even after multiple washings.

New - How to buff off an edge when using a rotary buffer

New - How to use a Rotary Buffer

New - Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer

DeWALT DWP849X vs Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

Surgical Buffing

Edging - Buffing the paint around edges

Rotary Buffer Talk with Bob Eichelberg from Flex Tools

Bumblebee - Testing out the NEW DeWALT DWP849X

The New FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Buffer - Includes Video

The 10 @ 10 technique for picking up a bead of product with a rotary buffer

Rotary Buffers: Stick Handle - Hoop Handle - Or no handle at all

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    If it has an adjustable speed setting on it, then it might work. The lowest speed setting should be fairly slow, no more than 1000 rpm is what I like. 1300-2000 is where I normally Polish. Technique will also factor in.

Don't rule out Craigslist for maybe finding a used tool. I've found many there, as well as purchased many from here. The Griots garage 6 in is a bargain, and works really well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by '03 Ram 5.9 View Post
    I'm just getting started with this new hobby and I happen to already own a Craftsman 9 in rotary buffer. I do not know the specifics off hand such as speeds etc. I have some terry cloth bonnets and a lambs wool bonnet. Just reading some of the other threads I'm positive this buffer is far inferior to what most experienced guys are using. My question is will I do any harm to my truck using this until I can get a higher quality tool? My truck is silver and it's 10 years old so the paint is pretty beat up. My initial plan is to start claying, compound, polish, and wax.
    Do you have a picture? Craftsman made a 9" orbital buffer. If they made a true rotary, I would love to see a picture. I have the orbital and it is good for applying waxes and buffing but not much on paint correction. Good news, it would be hard to harm your paint with it.

Mike Phillips

I'm just getting started with this new hobby and I happen to already own a Craftsman 9 in rotary buffer.

I have some terry cloth bonnets and a lambs wool bonnet.
    Pitch the bonnets in the trash they'll cause more harm than do good, these things are very old school.

You want to get a good backing plate and some quality foam pads.

My initial plan is to start claying, compound, polish, and wax.

Here's a suggestion for some high quality pads and a backing plate. The below picture is from my article on the new 5" Hybrid pads for the Flex 3401 but these pads also work great on rotary buffers and their smaller size makes them very easy to control while buffing.

New 5" pads for 4" Backing Plate on Flex 3401

You'll need a 4" backing plate for a rotary buffer, some old, less costly rotary buffers used 3/8" spindle, these were usually very low power units and came with a rubber backing plate that you attached the above mentioned bonnets onto.

If this is the case then you might have a problem finding a backing plate because the standard for rotary buffers now days is 5/8" coarse thread. Like this,

Here's a Makita with a 5/8" spindle...

Another good option is to get the 6.5" Hybrid pads and a 5.5" Flexible Backing plate, these too are great pads and easy to control on the rotary buffer.

LOTS of pictures and information and links here,

Trend: Flexible Backing Plates for Rotary Buffers

On Autogeek.net

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Foam Pads

3 3/4" Backing Plate for Rotary Buffer

Mike Phillips

Here's an old Wen sander/polisher with the rubber backing plate that you attach bonnets too, this is really not a good set up for a swirls free finish on clear coats.

It is possible I think to get a Heli-Coil that fits your buffer's spindle and has a 5/8" outside NC thread but you would want to go to a machine shop and see if that's an option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert8194 View Post
    Do you have a picture? Craftsman made a 9" orbital buffer. If they made a true rotary, I would love to see a picture. I have the orbital and it is good for applying waxes and buffing but not much on paint correction. Good news, it would be hard to harm your paint with it.

is this rotary or orbital?

Post Thanks / Like

That my friend is a orbital, the only thing that's good for is applying wax and removing wax. Has no correction ability. You need a Dual action polisher Like Flex, PC, GG, and Meg's. All are good machines for starting off learning. I Have the PC and love how easy it is to use.

And Welcome to AGO
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamafire View Post
    That my friend is a orbital, the only thing that's good for is applying wax and removing wax. Has no correction ability. You need a Dual action polisher Like Flex, PC, GG, and Meg's. All are good machines for starting off learning. I Have the PC and love how easy it is to use.

And Welcome to AGO
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction. i would have wasted a lot of time and effort wondering why i wasnt getting results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast