autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary Buffer Question

Quote Originally Posted by '03 Ram 5.9 View Post
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction. i would have wasted a lot of time and effort wondering why i wasnt getting results
    No problem, that's why we are here to help and learn. Watch Mikes how to articles and video's on the Dual action polishers. Plus great group on AGO that will help you out.
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like

That's an orbital commonly referred to as a "Wax Spreader". I think a lot of folks work with these tools until they see what can really be done to correct paint. I started with a similar unit and quickly realized that to get any real swirl removal I'd need to upgrade to a better unit. As stubborn as I can be at times...I kept burning these units up, running them until the motors literally melted down (without achieving the results I desired). I kept on buying another wax spreader and misusing the tool to the point of meltdown. It simply is the wrong tool for doing anything more than applying a wax with.

Eventually I went online to see about a "throw money at it solution", looking for the world's most expensive car polisher... The thought process was that you typically get what you pay for. That is how I became familiar with the detailing discussion forums. The most expensive polisher at the time was a Cyclo polisher. I bought the "Mega Cyclo Kit" for something like $429 and there began my adventures in real auto detailing and paint correction.

Thinking back through my own experience, and attempting to put myself in your shoes, assuming money is an issue...I'd trash that wax spreader and run to my local Harbor Freight tools and pick up a "Chicago Electric Platinum" dual action sander/polisher and a few of the pads that they have in the abrasives isle. For less than $100 you can have a decent DA polisher and a half a dozen pads. Of course being that AGO is trying to sell as much as possible...I'd encourage you to purchase your detailing needs from the AutoGeek store but if times are real tough right now HF is a cheaper way, assuming that you keep in mind that you typically get what you pay for..

I've been working in a professional setting...running through it's paces from time to time, "the Chicago Platinum" DA sander/polisher and it's holding up surprisingly well. While not the best available unit, it will enable you to do some real paint correction with some learned technique, while being much safer than using a rotary polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Thinking back through my own experience, and attempting to put myself in your shoes, assuming money is an issue...I'd trash that wax spreader and run to my local Harbor Freight tools and pick up a "Chicago Electric Platinum" dual action sander/polisher and a few of the pads that they have in the abrasives isle. For less than $100 you can have a decent DA polisher and a half a dozen pads.
    so funny, i was just on their website and thy have it for $59 right now. i figured it was junk though. i think i'll do it and get the 2 yr warranty for another $10. do you know if i can use othert pads with it or am i committed to harbor freight pads?

Post Thanks / Like

is this rotary or orbital?
    Orbital. That's what I suspected. The same machine I started out with many years ago. Sears used to sell a polishing compound with it that would help the shine (single stage paint) but it will do nothing to correct swirls in clear coat. Others are absolutely correct, you need a good dual action polisher like the Porter Cable or Griot's to safely correct your paint. Good luck and welcome to AG online.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bamafire View Post

That my friend is a orbital, the only thing that's good for is applying wax and removing wax. Has no correction ability.

Correctamundo and I have an article on that...

The Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader

I keep this around for all my classes because there's always a guy in the class that after going through the different tools and how they work plus their benefits, they'll say,

Can I just use the old polisher I have in the garage?

That's when I whip out the old wax spreader and explain how they used to work in the old days to remove oxidation off single stage paint but on modern clear coats they've been relegated to pretty much spreading out a coat of wax or removing a coat of wax. Even still, they really only work good on large flat panels, (like old cars have), as most new cars have multiple curves and body lines with thin panels.

Post Thanks / Like

so funny, i was just on their website and thy have it for $59 right now. i figured it was junk though. i think i'll do it and get the 2 yr warranty for another $10. do you know if i can use othert pads with it or am i committed to harbor freight pads?
    For the 100 bucks its going to cost you you might as well get the griots garage dual action polisher for 139 or something close to that and you will have one of the best DA on the market. start out slow with pads and learn good technique. from there buy more pads, from there you should have gotten thr hang of it and then dip into the rotary market if you like. But with some of te options out there for DA now adays and weekender like yourself or a novice can do great things with some of the technology out there.

Correct me if im wrong,

Any DA on the AG website + meguairs microfiber kit (pads and polish) very hard to beat for a novice/weekender.

Post Thanks / Like

No you're not committed using Harbor Freight pads, any will work, don't know it has the capability to spin 6.5" effectively, 5.5" and smaller would be you best, just get the appropriate backing plate for whatever size pad you'll be using.
    For $59 can't beat the price, sometimes they offer a discount coupon too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12