autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex3401 pad question

I am going to be cleaning up the paint on my Audi wanted to know which pads to use on my flex. I was planning on using the Lake country flat pads or the cyan and tangerine pads but I was reading the thread on last Thursday night's makeover and I saw Mike point out not to use the flat pads on the flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex3401 pad question

Quote Originally Posted by Calibmw23 View Post
    I am going to be cleaning up the paint on my Audi wanted to know which pads to use on my flex. I was planning on using the Lake country flat pads or the cyan and tangerine pads but I was reading the thread on last Thursday night's makeover and I saw Mike point out not to use the flat pads on the flex.
    Thats odd. I use flat pads with mine all the times and get great results and safe CC removal. I do not know what he is saying in the video, but I have seen him recommend the Hybrid pads (which are flat) for the flex.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Flex with flat pads get you to the end zone faster and more efficiently. On the other hand I have heard that DAT polishes are better with flat pads because the diminishing abrasives will break down more uniform compared to CCS pads. SMAT polishes work well on both types. All-in-all, you can probably get away with either pad. I have used both and from my experience, flat pads finish a lot better than CCS pads. It may be just me though so your mileage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the LC Hybrid pads for the flex. They essentially are flat pads. I find this odd as well since Mike has been recommending these same pads for the Flex.

I need to watch the feed again when I have the time to see what exactly he was referring to.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is what he is referring to:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...broadcast.html

"This is Scott the guy that painted the car using the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher with a Lake Country 5.5" Flat Pad with the SONAX Nano Polish.

Note: This one is my fault, luckily no harm came from this combination. I stay pretty busy playing team leader at these classes and sometimes mistakes happen and in this case I meant for these 5.5" pads to be used on Porter Cables, Meguiar's and Griot's DA Polishers. I think Scott wasn't sure of our "Detailer's Language". While the Flex 3401 is a DA Polisher it's not the same type or the type I intended for use with these pads. While these pads fit on the factory backing plate there is no room for error and you have to be very carefully with the edge of the backing plate so that it doesn't come into contact with the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he was referring to the size of that particular pad on the backing plate on that Flex. Maybe Mike could clear the confusion here soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mets2010 View Post
    I think this is what he is referring to:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...broadcast.html

"This is Scott the guy that painted the car using the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher with a Lake Country 5.5" Flat Pad with the SONAX Nano Polish.

Note: This one is my fault, luckily no harm came from this combination. I stay pretty busy playing team leader at these classes and sometimes mistakes happen and in this case I meant for these 5.5" pads to be used on Porter Cables, Meguiar's and Griot's DA Polishers. I think Scott wasn't sure of our "Detailer's Language". While the Flex 3401 is a DA Polisher it's not the same type or the type I intended for use with these pads. While these pads fit on the factory backing plate there is no room for error and you have to be very carefully with the edge of the backing plate so that it doesn't come into contact with the paint.
    That has to do with the size of the pad, not the type of pad. The stock Flex backing plate is 5.5 inches - the same size as the pads they had on had. As Mike mentioned, you usually want to use a backing plate a little smaller than the pad you'll be polishing with, so you don't hit the paint with the backing plate if you should happen to tilt the machine, or are working in a tight area (like say under the side mirrors).

If you're using the stock backing plate on your Flex, just get the 6.5" HT pads - they'll work out perfectly fine.
    Francis