autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is this on my paint?

Hey guys, I just bought a new 2013 VW GTI and it has this mark in the paint. It's just above/on the reflection of the garage light.

I tried to use some polish with a Porter Cable 7424xp, white pad, and Pinnacle XMT Swirl Remove #2. The mark did not show any improvement.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a light scuff mark/hazing. I would step up to M205 or Ultimate Polish on speed 5 with a polishing pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is this on my paint?

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    Looks like a light scuff mark/hazing. I would step up to M205 or Ultimate Polish on speed 5 with a polishing pad.
    When you say polishing pad, are you referring to the white pad or the orange one?

Sorry for I'm new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try the white first, then the orange if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by prelag View Post
    When you say polishing pad, are you referring to the white pad or the orange one?

Sorry for I'm new.
    A white pad if your using Lake Country, yellow pad for Meguiars. I would not use a orange pad as it might be too aggresive IMO. Hit it with 205 or UP, it should take it off completely.

Let us know your results and take after pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is this on my paint?

OP stated he used white pad and XMT Swirl Remover 2 already and had no improvement.

Try hitting it with the LC Orange and the XMT2, speed 5 as mentioned above.

If no improvement... Megs Ultimate Compound/Orange speed 5/6 will pull that ##### right off there in about a second. Ultimate compound is usually easily available at all your local auto stores if you don't have it and don't want to wait.

Don't fear the orange pad as its a light cutting pad and when its on a PC it really won't abrade too much (just enough to fix the spot) and you won't hurt anything. But being that its a new car, obviously limit the use to that one area since you've got a lot of years with the car ahead of you. Megs Ultimate Compound and the Orange pad has really done well for me on all sorts of swirl and misc. mark removal, and it finishes out super nice. Below are before and afters of a car that i went Ultimate Compound with orange, Klasse (with green pad), and straight to LSP (DP Maxwax).

Of course your other option is to take it back to the dealer and scream at them until they take it in the back and have some dope try and buff it out (which is likely how it got there in the first place).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
    OP stated he used white pad and XMT Swirl Remover 2 already and had no improvement.

Try hitting it with the LC Orange and the XMT2, speed 5 as mentioned above.

If no improvement... Megs Ultimate Compound/Orange speed 5/6 will pull that ##### right off there in about a second. Ultimate compound is usually easily available at all your local auto stores if you don't have it and don't want to wait.

Don't fear the orange pad as its a light cutting pad and when its on a PC it really won't abrade too much (just enough to fix the spot) and you won't hurt anything. But being that its a new car, obviously limit the use to that one area since you've got a lot of years with the car ahead of you. Megs Ultimate Compound and the Orange pad has really done well for me on all sorts of swirl and misc. mark removal, and it finishes out super nice.
    Im not suprised XMT Fine Swirl Remover didnt do anything for the OP. It has little to no correcting ability. I would put it in the AIO category. About as strong as a cleaner wax as far as correction ability.

While I agree UC+ an orange pad will take many moderate defects out, I wouldnt recommend and IMO feel its unecessary for a "new" car. You would have to further finish the paint down with a fine polish to remove any light marring or hazing. It would defeat the purpose of using the least aggresive product to get the job done.

Nice results by the way.