autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you polish black mirrors and pillars?

If so, how and with what?
    Thanks so much guys.
    I did not know if I could pc them. I can pc the windows, right?
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Itoman, if the pillars and mirrors are painted like the body then yes. If they are flat black and plastic then I would not polish them with a PC. Windows can be polished with PC but I see no need to unless needed do to heavy soil or things like water spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    My pillars and side mirror housings are the same color as my car. I use polish of choice and usually a light cutting pad. It depends on what kinda correction I'm looking for. I use the small 4'' pads with my PC. The side mirror housings seems to oxidize alot. about a year ago when I first noticed they were oxidizing I brought my car to the stealership and showed them the problem. The service manager decided to take a dirty rag and rubbing compound to the housings. He did one at a time. After he was done with the 1st one. I looked at and said are you kidding me? Your scratching the hell out of them (they looked twice as worse then when I brought the car in). He said no I'm not, Those arn't scratches. I kept my mouth closed while he did the other housing. I looked at it and said the same thing. Once again he said no I'm not. He then goes and gets some crappy wax and applies. They STILL looked absolutely horrible. I told him they look even worse, so finally he said I will order new ones for you. I'm still on the second pair and they keep oxidizing. I don't know why. It's only on the top of the housing, not the rest. So now every few months I have to take the PC to them. Its a vicious cycle. I always apply my LSP's to them, and yet the oxidation still comes back. Sorry for the unnecessary rant.

Post Thanks / Like
    My pillars were severly peeled and erroroded from the weather. They are the factory black stickers that have a clear protective layer on them. About half was dull and the other half was peeled. I took the PC with an orange and XMT1 to it. The peel marks were still there, but all of the dulling was removed and it was extremely shiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike T - Wow. That is awful! You hve every right to rant. I can't believe you were treated that badly! OMG. Well, actually I can - I think I have just gotten used to a little better treatment. The squeaky wheel - at least you got new ones.
    Yikes.
    Thanks for the input.
    (This is not my vette - it is my van and my friend Mark's neon I am worried about.)
    thanks all for chiming in!!
    all thoughts/experiences/etc greatly appreciated!
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bambo2888
    My pillars were severly peeled and erroroded from the weather. They are the factory black stickers that have a clear protective layer on them. About half was dull and the other half was peeled. I took the PC with an orange and XMT1 to it. The peel marks were still there, but all of the dulling was removed and it was extremely shiny.
    Yah, that is exactly what I have going on with the van. I will try it. I still have to do its windows - no room in the garage as we have 5 vehicles and the glass is covered in waterspots!
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    My car's pillar is flat black. I use a DA with a finishing pad on it. Now its has swirls on it. I think u just apply wax with hand good already. Don't PC over it. I think the flat black paint is too soft for the fast OPM speed on it. Now I have no idea how to remove the swirls. Maybe I'll get a can of flat black spray to respray it, when I have some free time. TQ.

Post Thanks / Like
    no matter what, they all need to be polished and most importantly protected. UV exposure to black is magnified many times greater than other colors and trim is typically black.

if it is plastic, then use a plastic polish and protectant. (Novus Polishes, Plexus Protectant) If it is paint (even matte surfaces) use a light paint polish if needed and a good wax or paint sealant. (Klasse SG, Zaino, Duragloss)
    Last edited by ScottB; 04-28-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ltoman
    If so, how and with what?
    Thanks so much guys.
    I did not know if I could pc them. I can pc the windows, right?
    The pillars on the wifes Honda are black plastic.They were somewhat faded.I used clearkotes vanilla moose glaze on them.Turned them jet black again. As for black plastic mirrors I like to use 303 protectant because of its high uv rating.Leaves a matte finsh.Hope this helps
    You can do it,we can help!