autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Set Up TWO DA Polishers

Hi guys,

Recently bought Mike Phillips' book and have been on this forum just a month trying to learn everything I can about my new enjoyable hobby. After a couple of orders from AG, I was on eBay one day and bought not one, but two, used DA polishers. I actually didn't intend to end up with 2 of them. I put in what I thought were fairly low bids for two units and was quite surprised to win both auctions!

My initial thought in going to eBay was to save a little money, see if I like this new avocation, and then move up to new equipment from AG in the near future, reselling the used DA's on eBay. But now that my new purchases have arrived, I'm mulling over a change in strategy.

My first polisher is a Griots 6", not the very latest generation that came out this month but the generation just before that. When I received my package in the mail I was completely blown away. This unit looks new! I sent a quick message to the seller telling him that he really undersold its condition in the auction and he confirmed that he had in fact used it just once.

Best of all, the Griots came with 5 Griots orange polishing pads, 5 red finishing pads, 8 wool pads and I think about a dozen microfiber bonnets. Most all of these are new, unused. I really had no idea I would get all this stuff so other than polish, I'm pretty well set with the Griots for now.

The second polisher is a PC 7424XP. This one's not nearly as nice and looks to be in average-to-below-average used condition. It came without the stick handle, has a worn, 5" backing plate attached, and came with a sanding pad, quite dusty, so I can only surmise what the owner had been using it for. Still, it works fine, just needs some cleaning.

My first impulse was to sell the PC, but before I do that I thought I would ask you guys how you might set up 2 DA's, which I'm sure many of you use anyway.

For now, I'll just use the Griots with the 6" pads. I'm thinking that, when the pads wear out, I'll switch to a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. So my first question is, does that sound like a good idea?

My second question is, how should I set up the PC? Should I set it up with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads, or should I consider buying a smaller backing plate, maybe even a 3" or 4" or something like that and setting it up to handle smaller spaces like the pillars. Any thoughts on this idea?

My third question is, do most of you use a pad conditioner spray to help prime your pads?

Needless to say, I'll be supporting AG with my purchases. This is a great forum.

Thanks, everyone, for reading this far. I'll be appreciative of any advice you can give me.

Best,

Steve

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Set Up TWO DA Polishers

Need a handle, I'll send you mine?
    I use a GG with a 3", the PC for 5.5".
    Sometimes the handle gets in the way so I just use it without, put flat head screws in it's place so the cover doesn't rattle.
    (wanting a Flex one day!)
    It is an addicting obsessive hobby........

send a pm if you really want the handle

Post Thanks / Like

So in your case....GG with 5.5 pads and PC with smaller pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post
    Need a handle, I'll send you mine?
    I use a GG with a 3", the PC for 5.5".
    Sometimes the handle gets in the way so I just use it without, put flat head screws in it's place so the cover doesn't rattle.
    (wanting a Flex one day!)
    It is an addicting obsessive hobby........

send a pm if you really want the handle

I use the PC with the smalls pads 3" or 4" due ti it's lack of power.GG is more powerful.
    I use the Flex with 5.5" and 6.5".

Don't spend money on the PC not worth it and the company does not stand behing their product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelzntoys View Post
    So in your case....GG with 5.5 pads and PC with smaller pads.
    Yes, in my case.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a really good score....Merry Christmas!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I tried my PC with and without the handle, I prefer without. Just put the bolt in to prevent the cover from coming off.