autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacing M105. Is Menzerna SIP what I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    Personally, I swear by Menzerna.

SIP- It will get rid of swirls and plows through 1500 grit swirls quickly. That being you really need the right pad to go with it. It is a little less aggressive then M105, but thats not a bad thing on most cars now. You only want to remove enough clear to remove swirls. Removing more is not necessary. If you use SIP, I would recommend SF4500 to finish to a high gloss. SIP does not dust and works like a dream. If you want more bite, go to PG-1000. It is made more for ceramic clears. Personally on softer clear, I have always used PF-2500 with a white pad. Always removed swirls without spending eternity and a day polishing.

FG400- New product and it is my personal favourite in the line. It cuts really well, but gives that high gloss. I use it for one step polishing, teamed with an orange pad, it truly is one step. So if you are running short on time, this is the way to go.

I have tried all sorts of polishes out there, they all have there ups and downs, but I always use Menz products. They work incredibly well and I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

Hope this helps
    So based on the pictures, you think SIP would get the job done without having to spend an eternity? I know the motto "use the least aggressive step that gets the job done" but I don't want to be disappointed if SIP isn't strong enough. I'm really torn between SIP and FG400, especially after you said that when paired with an orange pad FG400 can be a good one step. I would LOVE to get 95% correction in one step.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail
    SIP with the right bad will surely do the job on those pictures.
    Quickly and easily? Or will I have to do multiple passes? Ahh I'm so torn!

EDIT: I'm adding another picture of what the trunk used to look like before I corrected it with M105. This is what all the other paint on the car looks like now:
    Last edited by spellrm; 12-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows. Depending how hard you paint is 4 passes might give you wgst your looking for. 95% correction in my eyes is far fetched for only doing a one step. Let me know if you find a product to do that....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    Who knows. Depending how hard you paint is 4 passes might give you wgst your looking for. 95% correction in my eyes is far fetched for only doing a one step. Let me know if you find a product to do that....
    Yeah I probably should have phrased that differently. I meant something that will quickly level out the swirls I have to about 95% correction, even if it leaves some haziness behind. That's what M105 did and after hitting it with 1-2 passes of M205, the haziness was gone. I'm just looking for something that will cut as quickly as M105, without all the dust and difficult removal.

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with some FG-400 and SF-4000.

Post Thanks / Like

Still no talk of pad or machine used. With this info we can help dial in your process. If working by foam are you misting water on the surface to re-activate M105 without having to add more product? Adding more usually contributes to excessive dusting. If working by microfiber pads, prime them with D300 then add 3-4 drops of M105. This will increase working time without reducing cut and will reduce dusting. Or you can use M101 in place of M105 on foam or on microfiber pads, prime with D300 and add M101 if more cut is needed. There are so many options.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Still no talk of pad or machine used. With this info we can help dial in your process. If working by foam are you misting water on the surface to re-activate M105 without having to add more product? Adding more usually contributes to excessive dusting. If working by microfiber pads, prime them with D300 then add 3-4 drops of M105. This will increase working time without reducing cut and will reduce dusting. Or you can use M101 in place of M105 on foam or on microfiber pads, prime with D300 and add M101 if more cut is needed. There are so many options.
    Sorry about that. I have a GG 6 inch DA, 1 yellow LC pad, orange LC pads, white LC pads, and 1 black LC pad, all 5.5 inches. When I used M105, I would occasionally mist the pad with Meg's Quick Detailer. This helped for a little bit, but then the dusting came back. Everything worked fine, I got 95%+ correction on my trunk, I just didn't have a great experience with the difficult removal and dusting of 105. I'm eager to try out some other compounds to see if I can make things easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    A squirt of Johnson & Johnson's Baby Oil or generic Mineral Oil on your pad will extend the work time on any compound really. SIP can dust as well. There are past discussions on the topic of using baby oil and such.
    I have to agree with this...

I've done this a few times and it does increase the working time of the product....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12