autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek site used in China?

is the site used in China? what do people do there to learn about detailing products? some brands like Meguiar's and Turtle have massive presence there but from the outside in it appears they rely heavily on detail centers, etc.

are they using detailing websites and forums like we are or is it not part of their market?
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Autogeek site used in China?

I was in BeiJing with my wife a few years back to visit her family.

This was the observation that I had at the time. People (in the urban centers) are making more money than previous generations. According to my wife's relatives, car ownership was on a epic rise. The rush hour traffic was very similar to ones I see here in the West Coast. Most passenger cars I saw on the road were either Eco-Boxes or luxury cars. There are a few shops (Detailing) but all the cars in there seemed to be the Luxury varieties. I saw people washing their own cars and it was pretty bad. The typical "Rag of Furry" (one bucket with a rag). I also witnessed some quick work with a "MOP" by one of the locals. All-in-all, I have to say that car care education was virtually non-existent for the general public. The fact that the government filtered ALL communications between its people and the outside world couldn't improve the situation either.

Audi and VW had a very strong presence while I was there and recently BMW had declared the mainland China market of potentially having the highest growth. I believe the market is ripe for knowledge. As the ownership of high end vehicle grows, people will need better service. Maybe then we will see more of this in china.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in China three years ago and the government then had tight control over their citizens access to the internet. I do not believe that they are able to legally access internet forums outside of their country as of yet.

-Sparty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I was in BeiJing with my wife a few years back to visit her family.

This was the observation that I had at the time. People (in the urban centers) are making more money than previous generations. According to my wife's relatives, car ownership was on a epic rise. The rush hour traffic was very similar to ones I see here in the West Coast. Most passenger cars I saw on the road were either Eco-Boxes or luxury cars. There are a few shops (Detailing) but all the cars in there seemed to be the Luxury varieties. I saw people washing their own cars and it was pretty bad. The typical "Rag of Furry" (one bucket with a rag). I also witnessed some quick work with a "MOP" by one of the locals. All-in-all, I have to say that car care education was virtually non-existent for the general public. The fact that the government filtered ALL communications between its people and the outside world couldn't improve the situation either.

Audi and VW had a very strong presence while I was there and recently BMW had declared the mainland China market of potentially having the highest growth. I believe the market is ripe for knowledge. As the ownership of high end vehicle grows, people will need better service. Maybe then we will see more of this in china.
    you are right. it has transitioned A LOT with so many more people having nice cars and disposable income. apparently things have really picked up with detail centers and such. a lot of the popular mainstream brands have taken their wares to China and apparently have done well in the detail center scene but i've heard there is a nice retail presence with those products too but can't figure out how the heck they learn how to use them if they can't share info with each other outside of literal word of mouth, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    I was in China three years ago and the government then had tight control over their citizens access to the internet. I do not believe that they are able to legally access internet forums outside of their country as of yet.

-Sparty
    that's what i'm thinking but i've been checking out the laws and such but can't see exactly what would ban such discussion whether it's a site based outside or inside of the country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    a lot of the popular mainstream brands have taken their wares to China and apparently have done well in the detail center scene but i've heard there is a nice retail presence with those products too but can't figure out how the heck they learn how to use them if they can't share info with each other outside of literal word of mouth, hehe.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if they have their own, Chinese-language, China-based forum(s) for detailing.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

well, i was able to confirm that this forum is accessible in Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and Hong Kong. that's good.

Post Thanks / Like

The Chinese government generally would only intervene only if they deem forum such as ours a threat. They will view it as a threat if the traffic is heavy with large mainland membership participation. The last thing they want is to have a place where a large group of people can exchange ideas and communicate openly. or worst..... to organize!!!!!

Much of the population don't speak English but this is changing since the Chinese government view themselves as the next superpower. To do that, they will adopt the international language of business....which is English.

IMO, the biggest problem in retail there (mainland) is counterfeiting and this extends across the board to all products. With all the fake products running around, I am not sure the consumers there are seeing the same results as us.

Hong Kong is a different animal. They are actually pretty up to speed on what the west are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for starters...

-Sure wish there was a way to stop the influx of MF-towels and "Toys of Lead" infested with:
    The Chinese Creeping Crud...being exported to the USA.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Just for starters...

-Sure wish there was a way to stop the influx of MF-towels and "Toys of Lead" infested with:
    The Chinese Creeping Crud...being exported to the USA.

Bob

I've know it as CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap) YMMV
    Finds it's way into the retail market here very quick, buy low cost knock off products, keep the same retail price then advertise it on sale tricking the consumer they're getting a great deal
    Investors and Board of Directors are happy that the profits are higher!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the contradiction.....

These cheap sub par manufacturers exist due to our demands or our demands exist due to these sub par manufacturers.

There ARE good manufacturers in mainland China but like everything else quality = $$$. The laws in China is such that there will be hell to pay if a mainland manufacturer made a product that would harm the domestic population. The penalty is not nearly as severe if the product was for international consumption and the full penalty will only apply upon international pressure. Most (not all) of these sub par manufacturers that we hear about exist only to produce products for international consumption. In a funny sort of way....we did it to ourselves. IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast