autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

To clay or not to clay and M105/205 Question

I'm going to embark on my first detail with a PC7424XP. This will be my first time using a DA polisher. In the past, I've just used what I could get at the parts store, polished by hand and wanted to kick it up a few notches (hence the 7424). I also purchased the proper backing plate for 5.5” pads, LC pads (orange, white, red), Megs 105, 205, CG Black Light and CG V7.

I have a 2009 Mustang Bullitt Edition (Dark Highland Green) that is garage kept, has 18,000 miles on the clock, and I'm very picky about keeping it perfect. I had a minor accident back in November of 2011 and had the body shop respray the entire car (yes, that picky) so the paint only has 2,000 “miles” on it and not a single chip. I clayed (Pinnacle brand) and sealed the car with Meguiars NXT 2.0 back in July and have used only ONR to wash it and a spray wax to top it off. I am using microfiber towels as well.

I did the “baggie test” yesterday and can't feel any contaminants anywhere on the car. Should I clay it anyway? It feels very smooth.

Also, there aren't a lot of swirls in the paint so I'm not sure if I should start with 105 or 205. There are two scuffs on the car that I couldn't get out by hand. One is where a piece of rubber hit the drivers door that was kicked up from the road and where some idiot sat on the edge of the fender and a small part of the hood. I can't feel either of these things with my finger nail and it doesn't look like they went into the base coat. Will 105 take these out?

Thanks in advance for the advice/suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To clay or not to clay and M105/205 Question

If you passed the baggy test, Id say move on to polishing after a good wash to strip the old products off.

As for minor swirls, Id go for the 205/White first. The 105 is a much heavier cut, and doesnt sound like its neccesary in your case. Also, as far as the trouble spots, Id start with 205 there as well, and if you dont get any improvement, hit it with the 105.
    2018 Black on Black Subaru WRX - 2015 White on Black Jeep JKUR
    2002 Yellow GMC Sonoma - 1968 Go Mango Plymouth Roadrunner

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

What do you suggest for stripping the old products off? I don't think ONR will cut it (I love the stuff, though). The paint is still smooth and shiny so I'm pretty sure the NXT is still on there.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you've got a repaint, you've got more clear to play with than the Factory amount, so, there is no harm using 105 first and you'll get better results that way.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    If you've got a repaint, you've got more clear to play with than the Factory amount, so, there is no harm using 105 first and you'll get better results that way.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Hadn't considered that. I'll test a little 205 on the hood and see if that'll do it first, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I'd do a white polishing pad with 205. Why remove clear if you don't have to, even if you have more to play with? 205 will eliminate all the typical swirls, minor scratches, and oxidation that most of us have, and if you come across some deeper scratches that the 205 won't remove, then I'd try the 105. Your paint sounds almost perfect as is, so if I were you I'd do 205 all the way. Easy to work with and finishes great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like yourself and most on this site I keep my paint close to perfect on my garage kept car. Only drive on nice days as well. Today I clayed and polished and was amazed at how much dirt and contaminants were pulled off in the clay despite how smooth it felt prior. I thought my car was really glossy and shiny until I clayed and polished it this morning.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^ what he said.

Other than your problem spots 205 should do great.

Did you get more than one of each pad?

Do you have shampoo or paint prep that will strip the old LSP? I use CG Citrus Clear for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay is the only way.

Post Thanks / Like

I always clay before i do any polishing. I takes like 5 minutes and you dont have to worry about stripping wax because you are polishing anyhow.

It assures me that i dont pick up any contaminants on my pads that might swirl of mar the paint

Have fun
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast