autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which D/A Polisher for my purposes

Looking at Griots new orbital, Meguiars 110V2 and Porter Cable 7424XP. I am not looking at doing any major correction, just minor and also using for applying waxes and sealants. Basically I am looking for the one that is most comfortable and easiest to use. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which D/A Polisher for my purposes

I have a PC that I got when my G110v2 went bad after 1 1/2 cars. If your not going to use it that much I would go PC or Griot's. The PC seems to be the most dependable of the three. The Griot's does have the most power and a lifetime warranty. Somewhere down the road you may want power...

Post Thanks / Like

PC7424XP is great! I've used mine for several years on a regular basis (weekend warrior) and have no problems...... I want to upgrade to the Flex, but it's hard to find a reason to rush into buying another buffer when the PC7424XP does such a great job.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others that if you're not going to be pushing for the last bit of correction, and you're just working on your own cars, the PC XP is the way to go. Plus you can get pretty darn good correction with the Meg's MF DA system, which should work fine with the PC XP.

Post Thanks / Like

PC

Post Thanks / Like

Gg6...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can beat the Griots Polisher for the part time detailer or weekend warrior -- it is the most powerful of the "reasonably priced" DA's (as opposed to the Rupes or Flex) so as you get hooked on this you'll never lack for power. And, you can't beat the lifetime warranty-- say you use your polisher 10-12 times a year just doing you own car--4 years down the road it develops a problem--just send it to Groits for repair or replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the PC and GG, I prefer the GG.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to keep in mind, if you get a Griots you have to be very careful to not burn your pads if you are new to machine polishing, as that machine tends to generate more power / heat than others. There have been numerous threads on here about that.

I have a PC (old school) and my GG6 is coming tomorrow. I love my PC and haven't ran into anything it can't fix with the right pads and polish. That being said, correcting deep scratches can be VERY SLOW. But the machine is about 7 years old and still works perfect.

One thing that is a necessity in my opinion is a 3" backing plate and 3.5 or 4" pads. These help increase the machines power for spot correction and help you get into places bigger pads just won't fit. You will find yourself using them a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, if you get a Griots you have to be very careful to not burn your pads if you are new to machine polishing, as that machine tends to generate more power / heat than others. There have been numerous threads on here about that.
    I have a Griot's on the way from AG (my first polisher) that I plan to use on our DD. Please explain the problem with burning pads, and how to avoid it? Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast