autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What goes with Edge

Anybody know why a lot of Edge pads are unavailable lately ?. Not going the way of the twinkie are they ?, a sunami hit the foam plant ?.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What goes with Edge

You may or may not know that 3M purchased the Edge brand some years ago from Aaron, the owner. At least initially, Aaron and his crew, now known as Innovative Accessory Products, IAP, Edge ShMitt, Edge 2000, Microfiber apron, scrub daddy, detailing tools , who continued to make the products that 3M didn't want to aquire, were making theEdge products for 3M, but not too long after, 3M came out with this, which looks like 3M manufacture:

3M Quick Release Adaptor, 3M adapter for double sided pads,

My guess is that 3M's primary interest in the Edge line was to get the (patented?) quick connector for the rotary to market with wool pads to the bodyshop market. Again, it's my guess that the Autogeekian market is really too small for them and they aren't interested in pushing to that market, hence the spotty availability of the "PC" style pads. It's been this way ever since 3M bought them, it happened so fast I thought that 3M had bought the brand to bury it, then I thought it was a mfg. changeover, but it has been this way for years. FWIW Aaron is pretty busy being on TV and stuff and noted in Ray's recent Scrub Daddy thread.

I guess the funniest part of this is I bought an assortment of Edge pads and adapters before the company was sold, and still have never got around to using them, at first because I simply hadn't gotten to it, now I think it might be more because in the back of my mind I think that if I try them and like them I'll be disappointed that I can't buy any more.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the wool and foam pads with the adapters for over a year now and really like the system, that is why I asked about the DO-Do bird effect. I hope this is just a spotty shortage otherwise I have spent money on a dieing system and need to start buying backing plates and pads. When I started this Edge buying my thought was that it was owned by 3M and will be around forever. Maybe the wool will be and the foam will die. Time will tell I guess.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Nick or Mike or Meghan will chime in on this, I have been wondering about what gives for a long time.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Anybody know why a lot of Edge pads are unavailable lately ?. Not going the way of the twinkie are they ?, a sunami hit the foam plant ?.

Dave

Here you go...

The Edge 2000™ Premium Buffing System Foam Pads- Dedication To Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks for the response Mike, buTTTTTTTT, they only show 2 pads available. What happened to the white,green blue ? It also seems to be that way across the board unless you buy the kits.

The Edge 2000 6 Inch DA Pads: The Edge 2000 6 Inch DuraFoam Pads will change the way you think about buffing pads.
    Just sold out ?.

Dave

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Thanks for the response Mike, buTTTTTTTT, they only show 2 pads available. What happened to the white,green blue ? It also seems to be that way across the board unless you buy the kits.

The Edge 2000 6 Inch DA Pads: The Edge 2000 6 Inch DuraFoam Pads will change the way you think about buffing pads.
    Just sold out ?.

Dave

Best thing to do would be to call customer care and let them know which pads you want and they'll do their best to help you.

1-800-869-3011

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious how many people still use the Edge system. I bought my PC 2-3 months ago and went with the edge system after reading OCDetails blog years ago (2007?). After being on this forum for awhile it seems like nobody uses them...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by terrangama View Post
    I am curious how many people still use the Edge system. I bought my PC 2-3 months ago and went with the edge system after reading OCDetails blog years ago (2007?). After being on this forum for awhile it seems like nobody uses them...
    As I stated earlier in the thread, it's not a matter of "still" using them, I never got around to trying mine! I think part of the issue is that back when the Edge system was introduced, the velcro on pads was a lot crappier, and some of the backing plates weren't too good, either (think the Meg's red one for the G100). Backing plates and pad velcro are a lot better today, so it makes less of a case for the Edge system.