autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotarys Dangerous?

I am thinking about buying one and practicing on a scrap body panel and wondering are they that dangerous to burn through paint.

From what I have learnt tell me if this is right,

#1 Keep them always moving and never let them sit on one spot of they will generate too much heat and burn thru paint.

#2 Start at around 1000rpm and don't push it past 1500rpm.

#3 Don't work too fast or you will get many buffer swirl marks but don't work too slow so you don't generate too much heat. Just nice even movement.

I work at a carwash and have seen them used and have tried it once or twice at low speeds and they don't seem that dangerous.

I have been using a RO but found it useless so will be buying a PC next 2-3weeks and get few months practice with that then later this year buy rotary.

I mainly want to start using one to get better results and the work alot faster. Random Orbitals do a good job but just are way to slow to do a whole car.

Any advice will mean alot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kastanaras
    I am thinking about buying one and practicing on a scrap body panel and wondering are they that dangerous to burn through paint.

From what I have learnt tell me if this is right,

#1 Keep them always moving and never let them sit on one spot of they will generate too much heat and burn thru paint.

right......

#2 Start at around 1000rpm and don't push it past 1500rpm.

generally......but there may be times to exceed...to 2000 because of stuborm conditions

#3 Don't work too fast or you will get many buffer swirl marks but don't work too slow so you don't generate too much heat. Just nice even movement.

yes. nice n easy figure 8 and over lapping

I work at a carwash and have seen them used and have tried it once or twice at low speeds and they don't seem that dangerous.

they can be......respect the rotary....

I have been using a RO but found it useless so will be buying a PC next 2-3weeks and get few months practice with that then later this year buy rotary.

I mainly want to start using one to get better results and the work alot faster. Random Orbitals do a good job but just are way to slow to do a whole car.

Any advice will mean alot.
    GOOD LUCK......

Post Thanks / Like
    In the wrong hands they can be dangerous. Just take your time with learning how to use it. Even the best of the best will still burn trim or paint every now and then... that's the rotary for you...

Post Thanks / Like
    idk one guy from another forum told me to just skip getting pc and go straight to rotary. I know how to be cautious with them, know all the dangers and even through they can be dangerous I just feel now is the right time to start learning how to use them.

Just a question can touching any black plastics or rubber with a rotary leave a permanent mark or will any marks come right off. What I am saying is it's impossible no matter how much taping you do, you will touch a black plastic or rubber when learning with rotary but will it damage the plastic or rubber at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    My advise to a new rotary user is take it slow speed is not your Friend. And one thing that is never said is take your time SLOW IS GOOD!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    ditto, take it slow. My first buffer was a rotary. If you try to practice on all shapes and sizes of panels, it will be a great start. I luckily had a rock hard beater of a jetta to practice on. Try to tape as much and as good as you can, it saved my ass plenty of times. You'll still need a PC for the future, but you can definitly live without one. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using a rotary for several months now and all my practice vehicles have been pre-owned BMW's...talk about a pucker factor while learning. I am fortunate to have a good teacher (the dealer) and plenty of time.

Above all....CONCENTRATE on your working area. Don't let the rotary sit in one place too long, watch plastic body panels and trim, and start out with softer polish pads. For me, I have a lot more control of the rotary itself with a 6" pad setup. Except for wool, the other pads are too big and clumsy for me.

When I say concentrate on your work...don't allow distractions to interfere with your work. We had an incident in the shop a few days ago where the dealer was helping me compound a plastic bumper on a BMW 545i and also talk to a friend of his. Next thing he knew, the rotary burned a piece of bumper and melted it. He admits to losing concentration on the work and paying attention to his friend...he was definitely bummed!

Enjoy the rotary...they can do a tremendous amount of work and are very versatile with todays pads and products.

Totoland

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always found that beginners learn faster and easier with a wool pad instead of a foam. It's alot easier to control and is less likely to damage the paint due to less heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoland Mach
    I've been using a rotary for several months now and all my practice vehicles have been pre-owned BMW's...talk about a pucker factor while learning. I am fortunate to have a good teacher (the dealer) and plenty of time.

Above all....CONCENTRATE on your working area. Don't let the rotary sit in one place too long, watch plastic body panels and trim, and start out with softer polish pads. For me, I have a lot more control of the rotary itself with a 6" pad setup. Except for wool, the other pads are too big and clumsy for me.

When I say concentrate on your work...don't allow distractions to interfere with your work. We had an incident in the shop a few days ago where the dealer was helping me compound a plastic bumper on a BMW 545i and also talk to a friend of his. Next thing he knew, the rotary burned a piece of bumper and melted it. He admits to losing concentration on the work and paying attention to his friend...he was definitely bummed!

Enjoy the rotary...they can do a tremendous amount of work and are very versatile with todays pads and products.

Totoland
    what he said.

To be honest the rotary isn't that bad just don't be to hasty with the speed 1500rpm is more then enough, no need to go higher. The rotary is really like the PC, you maintain the same overlaping movement. Nice and smooth movement and yes never keep in in the same spot for to long. Oh one thing, if your really curious as to how much heat the rotary produces put your hand over the area and feel it. I've done this and I can tell where more heat was generated so that tells me that I slowed down to much in an area. Well just my input.

Don't fear the rotary, nothing to fear just be cautious and take your time.