autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Those who apply sealants by machine, question...

How many pea sized drops do you use on your first application, and thereafter?
    I'm gonna try Duragloss 111/601 mixed combo on my GT.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Re: Those who apply sealants by machine, question...

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin' View Post
    How many pea sized drops do you use on your first application, and thereafter?
    I'm gonna try Duragloss 111/601 mixed combo on my GT.
    Pea sized drops?

I use the ample amount to get the job done... you don't want to bring a dry pad down on highly polished paint. It's just not a good practice. Instead, lightly prime the pad first with the sealant and then add some extra product.

If you want to use pea sized drops go for it but I tend to use more than just peas sized drops. That's just me though, find a way that works best for you...

If a person reads enough of my posts or articles you'll note that I use the word ample a lot.

From The Free Dictionary.com
    am·ple
    adjective

1. Of large or great size, amount, extent, or capacity: an ample living room.

a. Large in degree, kind, or quantity: an ample reward.
    b. More than enough: ample evidence.

3. Fully sufficient to meet a need or purpose: had ample food for the party.

When I use the word it aligns most closely with the 3rd definition above, that is you want to use enough product to meet the need.

Underusing a product means a lack of lubrication no matter what you're trying to do plus you'll make reaching your goal more difficult.

Overusing a product means you might hinder the products ability to work efficiently and/or you could hyper-lubricate the surface. You could also simply waste product and make working with the product or removing the product more difficult than it has to be.

Using the ample amount of product is finding a balance which enables you to maximize the benefits of the product while reaching your goal.

When using a cleaner/wax on a neglected finish you want to use the product heavy or wet because you want PLENTY of product on the surface working for you whether its a chemical cleaners only or a combination of chemical cleaners and mechanical abrasives, you certainly don't want to skimp on product when working on a neglected finish.

When using a finishing wax, sealant or hybrid, then theoretically you're working on a clean, smooth surface that is defect free, in this case you want to use an ample amount of product to enable your applicator pad to spread the product out with good lubrication and so there's no friction while at the same time laying down only a thin layer of product, enough to coat over and to whatever level possible, work the product into the finish.

When demonstrating live or on video it's not always easy to lay down as thin a coating as I would normally do if I were working by myself as you have to make a process visible to a wide variety of people with different vision levels and even distances away from the work area, for video you usually have to do everything a little more over the top for either the camera to capture a process or to make it present well.

Don't get too hung up on using minuscule amounts of of product to wax your car... I certainly don't... I don't waste product and I don't under-use product, I aim for using the ample amount.

There you go...

Post Thanks / Like

By hand or machine, I usually will prime the pad with a QD or pad conditioner spray(pick your poison of the brands). From there I actually use 4 pea size drops for the initial area, after that I'll "kiss" the finish as Mike puts it, and the panels there after one or two drops dab it around your working area, then spread and "pick it up" along the way.....Nick actually shows the method I use for all sealants in his Definitive Guide to Collinite 845 sticky thread!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Misting sealants onto a pad, with a very fine spray nozzle will get you even coverage over the surface of the pads. Works better with sealants that have a thinner consistency, obviously.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are going with Duragloss, I suggest as a pad prime just a few squirts of AquaWax on the pad and work it in with your hand. Then a few drops of your 601/111 mixture and "kiss" the paint, as described above. I use the same procedure with Duragloss and although I am realivtely new to an electric polisher (Griot's 6"), I have found it easy to get a transparant look with little effort. Then, just buff off with a good microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like

very lightly prime pad,then put a couple peas on there.does not take much after light prime.ime with that combo and dg sealants.