autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waffle weave drying towels not drying anymore

I tried everything but the vinegar thing on my Cobra Waffle Weave towels, they all ended up like cardboard and caused more marring than drying, so I gave up on them. I dry with normal MF towels, but I only wash with ONR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I've never seen anything burn in boiling water. Boiling MF's is a standard practice that tons of people have done.
    lol tell that to my pasta last night!

Overtime, the towels will get clogged with old wax and other particles. My guzzler HD started to be useless on paint.

Personally, i let them soak in a super hot bucket of water with dawn power lift (30-60 mins), then i gave them a double wash on the hottest setting, followed by some steam deal my washer has. One thing to keep in mind with microfiber, its actually a very strong material that can really handle a lot. I always go by this saying "if id do it to silk, i can do it to MF." One other thing i do to keep the nap of the towels plush, rather than machine dry, I hang them on a rack.

But good to hear the boiling tip worked!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    I tried everything but the vinegar thing on my Cobra Waffle Weave towels, they all ended up like cardboard and caused more marring than drying, so I gave up on them. I dry with normal MF towels, but I only wash with ONR.
    This is another thing I learned years ago and it applies to a lot more than towels. I've read where many commercial launderers add white vinegar to their process so I tried and and man whet a difference.

I use about 2 ounces in the rinse cycle and these towels come out luxuriously soft.....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I use half a cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle but I don't know if it is good or not. All I know is that my Cobra's are not drying like they use to. Today I washed my SUV and the 2 Cobra towels were pretty much useless. I pat dried with a couple of extra large microfiber dish mats - they are cheap and work great!

I took out my propane fish fry and in the middle of my garage filled the pan with water and a couple ounces of white vinegar. Brought it to roaring boil and put in one of my Cobras. The towel wanted to "balloon" out but I kept poking it back in. After about five minutes I took it out and did the same to three other towels, leaving them boiling about five minutes each. Now they are in the washer on high heat water setting using Chemical Guys Microfiber Hospital Grade Wash and just a touch of regular detergent. I just gave them an extra rinse cycle (adding vinegar again). If this does not do the trick they will be used on wheels and it will be time to buy a couple more.

But I want to repeat that those extra big microfiber dish mats do a really good job. I link below the ones I use:

Dish Drying Mat: Kitchen & Dining : Walmart.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    But I want to repeat that those extra big microfiber dish mats do a really good job. I link below the ones I use:

Dish Drying Mat: Kitchen & Dining : Walmart.com
    I picked one of those up recently to test it out. It does work quite well, but my only concern was that it is made of 100% polyester, no polymide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    I picked one of those up recently to test it out. It does work quite well, but my only concern was that it is made of 100% polyester, no polymide.
    I have one that's used for dish drying and it is a 80/20 blend. Is yours newer? Mine is kinda old so they could have changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by octane View Post
    I have a whole bunch of waffle weave drying towels, and recently I realy noticed that they don't work very well compared to new... is there anything I can try to make them absorb water better?

I usually machine dry them on low, with no softner. I read somewhere that I should boil them for 10 minutes, but I'm affraid that would burn the fibers?

TIA
    Did you happen to wash them with your other towels? Wax, QD, or polish removal towels...
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123