autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Evolution of Detailing-Products Forgotten

Yesterday I was going through my detailing cabinet and was amazing at how many products that I have accumulated over the years that were solid products but simply are not talked about anymore. Obviously as technology changes new and better products are going to be released. It's just funny the amount of products that were all the "rage" back in the day but no one even mentions them anymore.

Here are some of the ones that I came across:

S100 paste wax

I remember when this was the detailing forum favorite and everyone used it. To this day it is probably one of the easiest carnuaba waxes I have ever used. I admit that durability is an issue compares to waxes and sealants today but for ease of use and looks it can't be beat. I remember the "forum panic" when rumors surfaced that it was going to be discontinued. I think Harley Davidson dealers saw an increase in S100 sales that week. Heck I even bought 2 jars

Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Red Moose Glaze

Back in the day one of the killer combos. This topped with S100 was the "go to" combo. I even know of some forum members that mixed the two to create "Pink Moose". They were such easy products to use but you never really hear about them anymore with the release of products like EZ Creame Glaze and Blacklight and Prima Amigo.

Pinnacle Souveran

Ten years ago I can remember this as the standard in high end carnubas. Heck I remember debates that would last forever as if the wax was worth the price in looks. I remember getting my first jar on a group buy and paying $60.00. I feel it is still one of the best looking carnuabas on black and reds. However, its not talked about as much with the release of more expensive carnuabas by Swissvax, Zymol, etc. To this day I still love it on my red 300ZX and black 350z.

What other products am I missing that have been forgotten but are still contenders??
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Evolution of Detailing-Products Forgotten

Great thread! I know you're looking for contenders so I'm not going to bring up all the flavors-of-the-month that were all the rage for a while but fell by the wayside...but since you brought up Clearkote...what about their Quik Shine QD? It came as a concentrate so you didn't have to pay big shipping costs (if shipped by weight), and was different than most QD's...I liked to use it on windshields during the winter, since most QD's would leave a streaky mess in the cold.

I'm not sure if Clearkote is gone, I know they had gone through some changes and only seemed to be selling direct, but their website isn't working now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Great thread! I know you're looking for contenders so I'm not going to bring up all the flavors-of-the-month that were all the rage for a while but fell by the wayside...but since you brought up Clearkote...what about their Quik Shine QD? It came as a concentrate so you didn't have to pay big shipping costs (if shipped by weight), and was different than most QD's...I liked to use it on windshields during the winter, since most QD's would leave a streaky mess in the cold.

I'm not sure if Clearkote is gone, I know they had gone through some changes and only seemed to be selling direct, but their website isn't working now...
    SA...I love Quick Shine and still have a gallon. You are right about glass. It repels water like no other QD

Clearkote Carnuaba Moose Wax (CMW) was another great wax. It looked great on blacks.

What about MF towels. I was always wiping down my cars with diapers !!!! I remember when they first hit the detailing market. I think my first purchase was from Right Look on a group by. I still remember my first dozen
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I always used the Clearkote moose's. Loved using pink moose as a go to for many applications, or just red on dark.
    Heck, I was in on the Edge revolution with two sided pad system...used them up until this summer when I got back into it...some things are much better left int he past...loving my flat pads!
    I serve society by ROCKING!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Red Moose Glaze

Back in the day one of the killer combos. This topped with S100 was the "go to" combo. I even know of some forum members that mixed the two to create "Pink Moose". They were such easy products to use but you never really hear about them anymore with the release of products like EZ Creame Glaze and Blacklight and Prima Amigo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Yup ClearKote is sure forgotten in the Forums nowadays. In Europe, it is really hard to find someone who still sells it (and probably what is available are the leftovers of days gone by...).

That QD was nice on glass: the water repellency was great! (it was originally developed for aeronautic plexyglass windows)

Post Thanks / Like

I was just talking with Jason at the warehouse on Friday about Souveran paste .... its still selling at record pace.

I do miss Vanilla Moose and Clearkotes QuickShine.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

"Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used NXT wax the other day on a friends car, it gave nice shine. But you gotta love the scent from the wax and the NXT wash as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I never got past the original version of NXT (never tried v.2), but the smell of all NXT products was marvelous. How about Klasse? That's a product that people still talk about but not so much...with KAIO and SG as long as you went thin and buffed off promptly it was easy, did a great job, and if you built up a few layers of SG it lasted a good long while...and a bottle of SG lasts forever since you use so little.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast