autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most regretted detailing product purchase

Elderado2k, I wanted to put this as a note in my reply originally but I had to get to work so left it out.. I think the high praise for their soaps is probably because the rest of their product line is so bad, so in saying that the soaps aren't bad in comparison to the rest of their products. Compared to other high quality soaps though, I don't think they really stand out, I'd rather use DG901, megs gold class or any of the rinse less options offered on AG.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got some CG I don't mind. While there are cheaper alternatives, I like their clay lube. I haven't tried it yet, but the pete's 53 has a pretty good rep. I've got and used their now discontinued white wax with better results than reviews.

I think the CG soaps people say decent things about are their citrus soaps, and the honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I've heard about enough about how "great" their soaps supposedly are.. lol.
    Which is the greatest of all great CG soaps? I'm going to try it, and it better live up and be different than all the other car wash soaps and on par with Carpro Reset or somekind of greatness.

Recommend it. I'm all ears.
    I'm not big on chemical guys products, but I do really like their Citrus Wash Clear shampoo. Great dilution rate, fantastic cleaning ability, rinses clear, leaves nothing behind. I bought a gallon of it over 3 years ago, still have a bunch left after many washes. I also have Duragloss 901 and Wolfgang Auto Bathe, but the Citrus Clear is my favorite soap so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Elderado2k, I wanted to put this as a note in my reply originally but I had to get to work so left it out.. I think the high praise for their soaps is probably because the rest of their product line is so bad, so in saying that the soaps aren't bad in comparison to the rest of their products. Compared to other high quality soaps though, I don't think they really stand out, I'd rather use DG901, megs gold class or any of the rinse less options offered on AG.
    .... But isn't car wash soap basically pretty much all the same? Sure they smell different, comes in different colors, but it sort of ends pretty quik as far as what sets 1 apart from another. And if that's not true I'd love to hear anyone name 2 car wash soaps from halfway respectable brands that totally and noticeably suck in regards to lubricity... You can't, because there are no car wash soaps that suck that bad because they're generally created more equal than anything else in regards to car care products.

You mentioned Gold Class, that soap is A ok in my book, does the Duragloss Car Wash soap blow it away or do something worlds different in any way? I bet it doesn't.

The only real differences that actually matter are with soaps such as Carpro Reset and the fairly new Sio2 containing soaps such as Gyeon Bathe and similar offerings... But IMO everything else that doesn't do anything specifically special like those soaps isn't going to be much different than the next.

Have you ever seen some guys on youtube who review like 50+ soaps? They do the same video over and over again... And do they ever have a distinctive thing to say about 1 soap compared to the rest? No.
    Personally I think those dudes are pretty strange to be making so many vids and not realize that they're testing general grade stuff and it's all going to be nearly the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Most regretted detailing product purchase

CG has a ton of soap variations. Like everything else they produce, there's TONS of overlap and waste in their product lines. There's a couple things that aren't too bad, but when 95% of it is garbage rebrand to maximize profits, I tend to just stay away completely as that's not the kind of model I want to support. So in how that relates to this, I would say I genuinely regret buying anything from CG. In terms of general soaps, I'd recommend Duragloss CWC, HD Pink Soap, or Hyperwash any day of the week over anything from CG.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
    HD Pink Soap, or Hyperwash any day of the week over anything from CG.
    If this rings true, than nuff said, CG soaps must be pretty ordinary because that remaining half gallon of 3D Pink will probably sit on my shelf for years to come.. It's not horrible, but it's "general" and I've stepped up from general grade car wash soap these days. It's 2017 and for me the bar has raised and starts at Reset or at the very least something better than 3D Pink.

I've used it enough to see that the results aren't great because it simply doesn't rinse very easily and degrades lsp much faster than a soap claiming to not alter should. That clearly indicates lower grade and dated ingredients, and it's priced exactly where it should be so I'm not mad at them, I've just decided to step up to better quality soap because I want better results and spend enough time doing this to deserve a better user experience.

It's not like the extra $10 for much better quality kills the wallet anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

I am regretting a sealant purchase due to the strong scent of perfume, that stayed around after a 24hr. cure time and
    after a coat of wax. I just bought another bottle before I noticed the smell surrounding me and the vehicle.
    The sealant was BF WDAFPP. I'll be using it outside only, if at all !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
    CG has a ton of soap variations. Like everything else they produce, there's TONS of overlap and waste in their product lines. There's a couple things that aren't too bad, but when 95% of it is garbage rebrand to maximize profits, I tend to just stay away completely as that's not the kind of model I want to support. So in how that relates to this, I would say I genuinely regret buying anything from CG. In terms of general soaps, I'd recommend Duragloss CWC, HD Pink Soap, or Hyperwash any day of the week over anything from CG.
    So you don't like their marketing but their products are either OK but nothing special? I use some of their products because the price is right and it works for me. You have to remember that their target market is SoCal owners of nice cars that enjoy the mildest weather on the planet. Winters are not much different from summers down there. I'm a NorCal and we actually get some rain here but never anything harsh that will kill a finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    So you don't like their marketing but their products are either OK but nothing special?
    From what I've gathered, there seems to be a common occurrence among the posts that have a strong dislike towards anything CG.. You'll usually see the word "some" followed by "most"

And 90% of the time it goes like this: Their soaps are ok, but Every Single Other Things Sucks.. That's an exaggeration of course, but that's how their fanboyism really feels about it...

If they can't take the time to at least be specific about what's ok and what sucked so bad that they just couldn't help but chime in without any specifics whatsoever, then what else can it be? It's kinda funny because you'd think most people on this forum would be beyond that stage in life where we were all a bit of a fanboy towards certain brands or whatever.. I'm way past that nonsense, give me true value and everything else that matters. But I ain't no fanboy just because.. Too old for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    From what I've gathered, there seems to be a common occurrence among the posts that have a strong dislike towards anything CG.. You'll usually see the word "some" followed by "most"

And 90% of the time it goes like this: Their soaps are ok, but Every Single Other Things Sucks.. That's an exaggeration of course, but that's how their fanboyism really feels about it...

If they can't take the time to at least be specific about what's ok and what sucked so bad that they just couldn't help but chime in without any specifics whatsoever, then what else can it be? It's kinda funny because you'd think most people on this forum would be beyond that stage in life where we were all a bit of a fanboy towards certain brands or whatever.. I'm way past that nonsense, give me true value and everything else that matters. But I ain't no fanboy just because.. Too old for that.
    It is interesting you use the term, "fanboy" because that is the exact term I use when speaking with friends about the fanboys here. I would never make an assessment, good or bad, favorable or unfavorable about any product in these forums unless I had direct experience with them. The only real negative sentiment I have towards any product(s) is Klasse because I have past and recent experience with it, but more importantly I have some confirmation from some credible friends that my negative sentiment is valid based on the same experiences.

I didn't take detailing serious until recently, mainly because I recently acquired a vehicle which I wanted to keep as pristine as possible so I started reading forums more and talking to friends who are detailers by hobby. The most impressive thing I've learned in the past year is the effect of clay on a finish. It is by far the most significant differentiator between wash/wax and detailing. The other differentiator I've gathered is the effectiveness of synthetic chemicals and compounds and the ease of easy-on/easy-off technologies with respect to emulsions and detailing agents. Absolutely credible and beyond fanboy hype.

Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast