autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Opti-seal vs. Zaino Clear Seal

Well water restrictions are calmed at 5pm-7pm on Saturday for my area, and I was up for detailing both cars. Lately we have been using the SRX daily and the Vette sits in the garage and used once a week when mommy and Chris has Gym and other items and need truck.

I decided to do the SRX first, and the idea was to do a basic wash/dry and then move to the new Opti-seal (OS). **Now let me warn, I dont know if I have the final version of OS as mine was in a half used bottle with a label and pencil sent from Meghan on Friday morning. It leads me to believe it was a beta sample #2. ** I washed the truck with Duragloss wash, and dried with the leaf blower/Guzzler combo and a light spritz of Spray/Rinse every panel to remove any spots. I then moved onto the OS.

First of all it is easy to track where you have been since it looks incredibly wet on any area where gone. (think: acrylic floor wax) It took about 10 minutes total. Immediately upon finishing there were some very pronounced streaking and I immediately rewiped all allowed to dry for about 30 minutes. Some slickness was noted, and some streaking was still very prevalent. I was disappointed so I moved onto the Vette. I am sure I used about a 1/4 ounce maximum for entire truck and was outside direct sunlight and heat.

The Vette is currently still sitting with a coat of Polycharged UPP on it, and I decided to hit it with Zaino wash. I then proceeded to dry with leafblower/guzzler combo and used a light spritz of Z8 to avoid spots. I then decided to try the Zaino Clear Seal (CS) on the Vette. Immediately the holograming appeared and pad flowed/moved much easier showing more slickness immediately than OS. When car was done 7 minutes later it looked like one big hologram and areas where starting to disappear. Fifteen minutes later there were two areas on the rear flanks that needed a quick second wipe. (presuming too much used) again, at a max 1/4 ounce was used.

I then went back over to the SRX and had to wipe down at least 1/2 the truck to remove the left over streaking. Some additional slickness was now present, and quick wipe with damp towel removed final streaks with ease. My wife even commented on how present the markings were. Clearly not as bad as having to buff the entire truck, but still an extra step was needed.

So it is with a heavy heart that I gotta give Zaino the first round. While I need to assess each on same color cars, and also get a final release version of OS to make sure same product, it was the streaking that had me upset the most. Otherwise while both applied the same, looked different while being applied, were very similar as end result in looks and gloss. My eyes may decieve me but I would give the CS a nod in reflection (could be a black car) and OS a slight nod in gloss. Slickness appears dead even after dried. Durability is obviously unknown. OS seems a tad thicker but has a better sprayer and seems to use less product. Pricing and size are compelling, and both go to OS in that arena. No knockout ... but a big ticket fight needs to end in a clear winner.

OS Streaking -- Look Closely at the Lines below reflection of tree

CS -- Holograms, notice how center is disappearing quickly

Last edited by ScottB; 04-21-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking forward to this! Thanks killr, and looking for the update on which version you actually had of OS and if this has been fixed with the final version.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to try eather one lol

Post Thanks / Like

The Fighters

Before Opti-Seal

After Opti-Seal and 1/4 hour drying time.

I dont see much of a difference, although I swear OS muted the reflection from first shot. And tried to get a very similar pic. I noted tonight while out, that there are still some missed streaking on Opti-seal'd SRX and the gloss and slickness seem to have increased. The CS'd Vette had one minor halo on the hood in nights light also.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Went out this morning, some streaking on OS / SRX is still prevalent. Rewiped with damp towel and its gone. Slickness and gloss seem more prevalent this morning, but very miffed at outcome of OS.

Vette meanwhile looks like glass ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    Went out this morning, some streaking on OS / SRX is still prevalent. Rewiped with damp towel and its gone. Slickness and gloss seem more prevalent this morning, but very miffed at outcome of OS.

Vette meanwhile looks like glass ...
    Not to get off-track here, but I guess I am...........I see that you have CG WMF on your shelf. What do you think of it?
    Alban B-)
    2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD, 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug bedliner, Torza Trifold Tonneau cover, SS step bars / Dark Shadow Gray Metallic
    2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S / Inferno

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alban61
    Not to get off-track here, but I guess I am...........I see that you have CG WMF on your shelf. What do you think of it?

I JUST USED IT LAST WEEK WITH THE P.C AND GREY PAD....

I THINK ITS AWESOME.......SHINE,,SLICKNESS DURABILITY???? TO EARLY TO TELL,,,,,,,BUT I WILL USE IT AGAIN......

MY 2 CENTS....... ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, BILL!!
    Alban B-)
    2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD, 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug bedliner, Torza Trifold Tonneau cover, SS step bars / Dark Shadow Gray Metallic
    2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S / Inferno

Post Thanks / Like
    back to topic :

Ok, I have literally re-read about every post on every detailing board about Opti-seal from those who actually used it. Some idea's come to mind:

1. Was the product I got a different version versus final release ??
    2. Using a cloth applicator versus foam sponge making a difference ??
    3. Used to much, strange since use same ZCS meaning less finicky ??
    4. Was bottle used something prior, and residue remained ??
    5. Was something in Poorboys Spray/Wipe counterreacting with OS ??

I am boggled, as I truly wanted this to work and work well. Now even a quick qd'er wipe down is faster than buffing an entire car, but not what the product was designed to do .... wheres Anthony when we need him most ??

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that the foam applicator to work best. It must be clean and dry. No water present in it at all. I wash mine out with dish soap and air dry over night.
    Zaino uses the cotton applicator wich I felt didn't give even coverage like the foam.

I have CS and feel like nothing is on the paint after it is dry. Now that you have said that
    you used a 1/4 of an oz. of the product this might be the reason.
    For the OS I have a black lexus in my shop that has 3 applications of the product and I dont think I have even used a 1/4 oz of it yet. This bottle is the production one sent to the public. I need to deliver this car in the morning and am trying to take pictures of it outside but the weather here is less then ideal. Cloudy all day yeasterday and now it's a light rain today. I was hoping for some good sun shots.

I would love to see more reviews from other users as my opinion would seam biased by the other corner.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast