autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Longevity of wax or sealant more based on exposure?

If the paint is properly prepared and a car is sealed and or waxed and say the longevity of the wax is normally 2 months. If you don't drive the car that often and it's garaged when not driven, should the wax last much longer? Is the longevity more based on exposure than time? Also does washing a certain way or with certain washes or additives also prolong the shine and protection? I know the answers seem obvious, but the only dumb question is the one unasked. Thanks again, Spiney-Dave
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Longevity of wax or sealant more based on exposure?

Hi Dave,

The only dumb question is the one that's not asked....

To simply answer your question, yes.

Exposure to the environment greatly impacts the longevity of any sealant or wax. The color of the car also impacts this degradation because depending on the color the surface can reach temperatures of 160F or more.

Things that will impact the protective layer.

• Washing
    • Drying
    • Sun
    • Rain
    • Wind

Basically, anything that comes in contact with the finish will impact it's longevity.

Garaging a car will greatly slow down the protection degradation as it cancels nearly all of the above....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

For me, in the summer when it is dry (not much rain), the upper surfaces degrade faster than the sides but when it is raining more, the sides degrade faster.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're basically asking if you keep the car in the garage for the winter, will the LSP last. The answer to that is yes. Time is not really much of a factor if the car is inside and the temperature is moderate. As Bobby noted, the things that are going to "remove" the LSP are chemicals (washing, cleaning), mechanical abrasion (toweling), water (washing and rain), and evaporation/UV degradation (heat/sun).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what the heck is "lsp"???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twiles3451 View Post
    "Last Step Product" or "Last Step Protection" such as wax, polymer sealant or a permanent coating like Opti-Coat/Guard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twiles3451 View Post
    Tool me a while to figure all the initialisms out, I've been lurking AND reading a lot!!

Check this out.... http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-acronyms.html

Post Thanks / Like

I have an SUV that I do not drive very much. If I put 8,000 miles a year on a vehicle that is a lot. It is hot here in Texas but the winters are mild so no snow, salt, sand, mud, etc. The SUV is Diamond White and garage kept at all times and because it seldom rains down here, it has not even seen a drop of water since June. If it is raining outside, I stay inside.

I use Duragloss products mostly and have detailed it and sealed it twice since I bought it at the end of May. Since then however, I have washed it a thousand times (maybe two thousand) with everything you can think of - shampoo, rinseless, waterless and quick detailers. Most of the time the car does not even need a wash but I do it anyway. Each time I use it and return it to the garage I, at the very least, immediately remove any bugs and clean the windshield. But rest assured that it will be washed within a day or two.

Almost every day I find something to do on it not only because I'm proud of it (it is such a fine vehicle, the 2012 Mercedes ML350) but because I've been retired now for 17 years and fooling around with car stuff has kept me busy and out of trouble for a long time. I walk a couple miles every day but this is pretty good exercise too you know. I suppose I could get by with only a once a year complete detail under these conditions if I would just leave it alone but I wear it down and out by constantly messing around with it. I know, this is not normal but what can I do? It is my dope.

So as you can see, your question can really be answered either one of two ways - product deterioration in chemical terms caused by nature and the elements (which Bobby and others have given you) or deterioration caused by the mental balance and state of insanity of the detailer, to which clearly I am familiar. It all depends who you are talking to!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Longevity of wax or sealant more based on exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    I have an SUV that I do not drive very much. If I put 8,000 miles a year on a vehicle that is a lot. It is hot here in Texas but the winters are mild so no snow, salt, sand, mud, etc. The SUV is Diamond White and garage kept at all times and because it seldom rains down here, it has not even seen a drop of water since June. If it is raining outside, I stay inside.

I use Duragloss products mostly and have detailed it and sealed it twice since I bought it at the end of May. Since then however, I have washed it a thousand times (maybe two thousand) with everything you can think of - shampoo, rinseless, waterless and quick detailers. Most of the time the car does not even need a wash but I do it anyway. Each time I use it and return it to the garage I, at the very least, immediately remove any bugs and clean the windshield. But rest assured that it will be washed within a day or two.

Almost every day I find something to do on it not only because I'm proud of it (it is such a fine vehicle, the 2012 Mercedes ML350) but because I've been retired now for 17 years and fooling around with car stuff has kept me busy and out of trouble for a long time. I walk a couple miles every day but this is pretty good exercise too you know. I suppose I could get by with only a once a year complete detail under these conditions if I would just leave it alone but I wear it down and out by constantly messing around with it. I know, this is not normal but what can I do? It is my dope.

So as you can see, your question can really be answered either one of two ways - product deterioration in chemical terms caused by nature and the elements (which Bobby and others have given you) or deterioration caused by the mental balance and state of insanity of the detailer, to which clearly I am familiar. It all depends who you are talking to!

I have been retired for 3 years and second your comments. Right on with madness.