autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why wax after a sealent?

On my DD I use the Duragloss 105/601 combo. I read about a lot of people putting 845 or another wax on after sealing. Is this for looks only or does it add that much more protection? Just wondering cuz winter be coming soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why wax after a sealent?

I think it's a bit of both. Wax gives that look, but also if something is to come off your car, it would make sense if the top layer comes off first. So if you had a sealant then wax, the wax would come off exposing the sealant. And then later down the road, the sealant would come off.

Mike Phillips

Well the coating of wax will have to wear off before the elements can start attacking the sealants so some people apply a wax for both looks and protection of the layer of sealant.

Good question...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishyX View Post
    Is this for looks only or does it add that much more protection? Just wondering cuz winter be coming soon.
    The saying:
    "Looks are in the eye of the beholder"...comes to mind. Very: Subjective...IMHO.

-Now some folks will say that a polymer sealant's reflective value is one of being glassy/mirror-like/silvery/no-depth.
    -Also, that an organic carnuba wax is supposed to provide warmth, depth, gloss, and, jetting---the wet-look.

-And it has been reported that an organic carnuba-wax will also provide 'better' protection from
    acidic contaminates (like bird doo doo, acid rain) than polymer-based sealants.

Alas...An organic carnuba wax's life-cycle is short-lived, as opposed to sealants, and must be re-newed quite often.

-Collinite 845, on the otherhand, seems to last longer than other waxes.
    I use it on the Winter DD's in Ohio.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyX View Post
    On my DD I use the Duragloss 105/601 combo. I read about a lot of people putting 845 or another wax on after sealing. Is this for looks only or does it add that much more protection? Just wondering cuz winter be coming soon.
    I do it because it gives me an excuse to screw with my car more. It also may look better and provide more durability, but primarily its the first reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I think it's a bit of both. Wax gives that look, but also if something is to come off your car, it would make sense if the top layer comes off first. So if you had a sealant then wax, the wax would come off exposing the sealant. And then later down the road, the sealant would come off.
    The wax acts like a sacrificial layer, especially against bird bombs. Although nothing stops water spots, I find a good layer of nuba is better at preventing water spots than sealants alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I do it because it gives me an excuse to screw with my car more. It also may look better and provide more durability, but primarily its the first reason.
    Me2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piscott View Post
    Me2
    +10

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Why wax after a sealent?

Yesterday I used WGDGS 3.0. My car looked great with a bright ,sharp, reflective sealant shine. Today I put a coat of Fusion on top. I noticed that the shine had changed to more of a glossy deeper glow. Most people probably wouldnt notice a difference, but I do and I prefer the warm gloss of carnuba. I use the sealant mainly for the protection and the carnuba for the glow/shimmer.

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 is my last step in preparing my car and truck to do battle against a long cold snowy New England winter.... This doesn't mean I don't maintain the finish throughout the winter because a good maintenance strategy is paramount in order to keep the finish looking great..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast