autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

cleaning glass with soapy water?

I was at Waffle House the other day, and there was this guy there cleaning the windows. He's with a commercial window cleaning company. Glass is one of my least favorite parts of a detail, so I ask him what he uses. Water with a little bit of dish soap. He squirts it on, squeegies it off, and the glass looks crystal clear in the sun. He says that he never has a soapy film buildup on the glass.

I've never used anything other than dedicated glass cleaners, but on cars with 5 years of grime, it would be nice to be able to use something with a little more dirt removing ability. Will soapy water work on interior auto glass? If not, why?
    Old sig- My GG can beat up your PC
    New sig- Well, it's still got a lifetime warranty

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning glass with soapy water?

Quote Originally Posted by davidc11291 View Post
    I was at Waffle House the other day, and there was this guy there cleaning the windows. He's with a commercial window cleaning company. Glass is one of my least favorite parts of a detail, so I ask him what he uses. Water with a little bit of dish soap. He squirts it on, squeegies it off, and the glass looks crystal clear in the sun. He says that he never has a soapy film buildup on the glass.

I've never used anything other than dedicated glass cleaners, but on cars with 5 years of grime, it would be nice to be able to use something with a little more dirt removing ability. Will soapy water work on interior auto glass? If not, why?
    It cant hurt to try it... give it a shot on one of your personal cars, that way if its not great, you can just re do it with cleaner again.

Post Thanks / Like

-What are you going to be using as your window-scrubber?
    -Do you own a squeegee or two? What size(s)?

-Make sure you have some: Squeegee friction-reducers on stand-by.

No "Streaking" Allowed...on the windows; or, by you!!

Good Luck!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

when windows get tinted they are normally cleaned with johnson and Johnson baby shampoo and water. that is also used in the application of the tint. so its not going to hurt any thing but i dont know how streak free it will get without a squeegee.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally hate cleaning the glass on my cars. I always use to use dedicated glass cleaners, but always seemed to have a streak here or there when the light was right. Now all I use is clean, cool water, a microfiber glass towel, and a cotton towel to dry. Perfect streak free results everytime on the interior of my glass. My glass is never horribly dirty, just the usual haze that you get over time as they sit outside always. Ive never used any soap in my water, never needed to. If I were you I'd say give straight water a shot before you add any soap, see how that works for you

Post Thanks / Like

Im glad im not the only one, i hate cleaning glass and it never turns out the way i want(especially the glass inside)

Post Thanks / Like

I just use glass cleaner and wipe off with one rag. Then I buff with another rag. Glass comes out crystal clear everytime.